Colour: Black/Orange|Change

on 29 August 2012
This is my first bicycle lock and I had to read a lot of reviews before deciding what lock to choose. Small U-locks seem to have the best reputation, and Kryptonite is among the most recommended brands (just make sure you're not buying an old kryptonite with that BIC-pen problem). The lock is pretty small, but just enough, no extra space left between your bike and a bike rack/pole. Light enough to carry in a bag, it can also be attached to the pannier rack. No real need for the complicated u-bracket. Haven't tried the flex cable, it looks sturdy, but I'm thinking of getting a second u-lock to do what the Kryptonite website calls "ultimate security lock-up". By the way, do check the website for proper lock-up instructions and to register your keys, and if you're lucky to live in one of the countries covered by the anti-theft insurance, do register for it too.

UPDATE: Haven't bothered to get another lock for almost a year, but after noticing that someone attempted to break it (unsuccessfully! the lock is now lightly chipped in two places), I'm going to get a chain lock as well, something like this Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Mini Chain 55cm.
review image review image
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2012
Cycling in London there is always a relatively high risk of bike theft. This lock does a lot to deter any potential thieves.

Pros:
- D-lock small but large enough to get round thin lamp-posts. Standard width.
- Fairly lightweight due to size
- Coating prevents rust
- 3 keys, the main of which has an LED built in for unlocking at night
- Turnable cover blocks key-hole preventing internal rust
- Locking mechanism smooth, as yet no 'stickyness'
- Cord locks front wheel.
- Cord can be easily carried around the torso
- Cheap price on Amazon
- Nice distinguishable colour

Cons:
- The D-lock holder that connects to the frame is useless. The simple tightening mechanism comes loose quickly along any small bumps in the road. Which is a pain as the lock swings round into the pedalling zone.
Luckily the lock fits into a back pocket
on 17 August 2015
Excellent product, light weight but robust. Easy key entry and no difficulty locking/unlocking. Carry bracket easy to install and very secure. Fits most posts and gives peace of mind. Would recommend to all cyclists as compact and simple to use
review image
on 16 April 2016
Its strong and sturdy. I was convinced by its weight, but sadly it really is too small to lock your bike and back wheel to a post. I have spent more money on the 7 ft cable as well, which would go through my back wheel, etc, and then i will use this small lock for the front wheel and the post. All depending on how thick the post is that you attaching to!
on 14 October 2014
+ smaller and lighter than my previous lock
- key light doesn't work and soft screws won't come out so I cannot fix this without sending the whole lot back
- difficult to open, lock never opens first time and takes a lot of fiddling to get it open. Usually takes a few minutes and has been like this since I bought it. Should have returned it.
on 13 July 2012
This bike lock arrived very quickly with the external company selling it via Amazon. It is a really great lock!!! I bought a fairly nice bike and really didn't want it stolen, so after reading some reviews Kryptonite locks seemed the best option. This was a really good deal as it came with the wire to tie the wheels to the lock as well. The lock fits around the bike frame and any lamp post etc very easily. It is very strong and I have had no attempts of theft whilst using it. Overall i can highly recommend this lock!!!
on 15 February 2013
This is a brilliant lock. It feels very strong, and it is quite small and compact so it fits in my bag without problems, and around my bike without any issues either.

I'm unsure what to make of the bright orange colouring though, it can make it stand out when your bike is locked up somewhere which may suggest you have a valuable bike, but I'm not sure.

When locking your bike, remember to loop the cable around the rear wheel and into itself (as it explains in the instructions) as I originally discarded them without looking and couldn't figure out an easy way to secure both wheels and frame until I got laughed at for the unorthodox method I found. It will make your life easier!
on 13 November 2015
I've been refusing to buy a D-lock for far too long. Well, now that I invested in a £400 rode bike, seem silly to let it be stolen for inadequacy of my lock.
I am very happy with the Kryptonite. The keys work fine, and as far as I can tell, haven't have any rusting problems in the mechanism because of the rain. I didn't manage to install the lock on the bike, but that is due to the bike's design rather than the lock itself. I usually carry it on the handle for short trips, or in my backpack when commuting. Is a bit heavy, but nothing that will make you extra tired.
I have had some problems fitting the Mini D lock in bike posts, but it was my decision to buy a MINI. I didn't want to be walking around with a huge lock. Still fits in most places. Really recommend.
on 6 December 2012
I use my lock mostly at my university campus. Some times I leave it outside the train station. At first I was always nervous leaving my bike but this is a pretty solid lock and I feel more confident. It is quite heavy though, but if it wasn't it probably would be so strong!

I have a mountain bike with quite wide tyres. I can fit the D lock around the back wheel, one seat stay (sometime two if the bike park tube is thin) and the bike park tube. The cable loops around my front wheel then on to the D lock.
on 16 February 2016
The 'mini' really is mini. The d-lock will fit any standard bike rack but gives you just a few fingers' leeway. I occasionally have to repositioned the bike closer to the rack to make sure the d-lock will close (more so if there's another bike already attached to the same rack on the other side). I suppose that's the point- to make sure it's harder to cut. But it does become a pain when you use it daily. I often see other cyclists enter the bike shed after me, secure their bike and leave before I manage to secure mine. The cable is a good length to loop the front tyre, rack and d-Lock with no problems.

The carry bracket is useless. The heavy lock will eventually loosen it no matter how tight you fit it.

Overall happy with it- sturdy + small and light enough to fit in the commuting bike bag.