on 21 August 2012
Having just bought a Peugeot 4007, I had been searching round for a DVD/Sat Nav/iPod/Bluetooth unit and had come across various Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood units from 700 quid plus fitting.

Then I found this for just 325...and with a degree of trepidation (as an automotive installer had told me some horror stories about Chinese in car tech), I bought it through Amazon figuring that if it looked horrible or didn't work, I had the backing of a reputable online retailer to help me get my money back! However, the unit is absolutely top class...it arrived within a couple of weeks and I fitted it myself last weekend. L

Let me run through it's good points, (there are one or two little niggles but nothing major).

1. The brand - Koolertron - never heard of them so I was sceptical, but it is just a box of bits and runs Windows CE software so is just a mini computer in a car radio shaped box so nothing to worry about. And it all works fine.

2. The look - it matches absolutely perfectly my 4007 dash, (the 4007 is in fact a Peugeot badged Mitsubishi Outlander/Citroen C-Crosser) so even though it is advertised as a Mitsubishi, fits the Peugeot like a glove. It looks fantastic, and my wife couldn't believe the match - looks very good indeed.

3. The functions...unbelievable...
i/ Sat Nav - tons of features, works a treat, finds GPS in a matter of seconds, haven't yet worked out how to stop it talking to me all the time which dips the music on the front speakers so you can hear it, but I am sure there is a solution!
ii/iPod - I have an iphone4 - it charges and plays no problem, once you are used to the interface (don't rely on the handbook it is written in Chinglish so no help whatsoever!)
iii/Bluetooth - paired and picked up the iPhone in an instant, works extremely well, doesn't download your contacts from the phone - which is a bit of a pain - but regular numbers are stored in the 'recent' folder so you can go back to them again and again.
iv/ SD card - this is a brilliant idea: on the front are two micro SD slots - one for the Sat Nav data - the other which you can load up with tunes. So having purchased a 32gb micro SD card for 12 quid from ebay, I suddenly have twice the capacity of my iPhone permanently 'on tap' - add that to the 16gb on my iPhone - and there's 48gb of music in the car - which, as you know, is tons and tons and tons more than you will probably ever need. SD card will also play films and display pictures etc, brilliant.
v/ DVD - I could watch The Simpson while driving - which of course is totally illegal so I don't do it. However the DVD also works very well and plays CDs too.
vi/ V-CD - this is a virtual on board 6 CD autochanger: basically you read in the content of 6 CDs into the memory of the machine (not the SD card but separate inbuilt memory), and there you have even more music to listen to; great if a mate has an obscure CD you want and you can just clone it in the car park at work and let him have it back!
vii/Radio - it's a radio...er thats it...works well on AM and FM, no LW though so 5Live Sports Extra will have to come via the Tune In app on the iPhone!
viii/USB - it's a USB - plug in what you want: movies, tunes, pictures, ebook, does them all.

In short, this is a brilliant unit - took me a while to work out how to have the Sat Nav running and the music playing but it's all in there. Next stage is to work on how the dual zone function can send DVDs to the kids in the back while I have the nav and iPhone playing in the front.

Installation was simple, plug and play basically, tons of wires and I wouldn't attempt it unless you are a bit spoddy - but if there's a geek at work (as there is where I work), then it is all very simple. The car comes to bits like Lego on the dashboard so keep taking screws out and you will find it slips easily into the cradle that is already there.

One word of warning: the toughest job is relocating the hazard warning and seatbelt lights into the new unit. This needs removing from the old head unit with a very small Philips screwdriver - also make sure you release the wiring block from the unit before relocating it. Other than that, I just worked on each element at a time - ipod, bluetooth, sat nav, usb - until it was all done.

I will write more once the back screens are installed!
on 26 March 2015
- Update to the review. My device just stopped operating after having a false start with the car iginition after 7 months. As the warranty is only 6 months, I won't get a replacement unit.

Installed it a few months ago on my C-Crosser 2007. Fully agree with everything in the first review. I just have 2 minor gripes.
1- The radio app is not the greatest. It's OK when your stations are set; but when travelling, finding new stations is not practical you have to rely on auto-find. There is no dial possibility to pick an exact station, you have to go with your fat finger and hope you hit it right on the dial bar.
2- I mostly use the SD card for music; The display has a limited number of character to display the song name and does not scroll automatically, so it's best to keep your song names below 16 characters to see everything.
on 16 February 2015