on 30 November 2014
Even though I've sadly never been able to visit one of Konditor & Cook's bakeries in London, I've heard such great things about them and been a follower on Instagram and Twitter, always wishing I could eat their cakes straight off the screen.

This wonderful book allows you to make all of their best bakes in the comfort of your own kitchen. It is so interesting to read about Gerhard Jenne's life and his path to becoming a master baker, and if he ever wrote a biography I would most definitely want to give that a read. Flicking through the book is such a joy, with the cakes photographed beautifully and each recipe having an enjoyable paragraph preceding it.

So far, I have baked the Almond St Clement cake which is a light, flourless sponge made with almonds and oranges. It turned out beautifully moist and light, with rave reviews from my family. Second on my agenda was their Apple Strudel, or Apfelstrudel, which was the first time making my own pastry and it was so fun to do from start to finish. The recipe was easy to follow with clear instructions, and stretching out the thin translucent dough was nowhere near as worrisome as I expected it to be. It tasted absolutely delicious with a dollop of creme fraiche and it made me want to fly over to Germany just to sample all of the baked goods.

After two roaring successes I must bake their famous Curly Whirly Cake, as well as try the Bakewell Slice, Fig and Whisky Brownies and Ninja Slice to name but a few recipes that stood out to me.

I've recommended this book to my friends and family who also love to bake as much as me, as it's one of the few where you want to bake practically everything you see, and the recipes are challenging yet reliable. Also, I love how @konditor_and_cook are interested to see your efforts on Twitter, and always have a cheery reply and kind words (even if your version doesn't look quite as professional as theirs!).
on 9 May 2014
I've been waiting for this book for so long!! I discovered Konditor and Cook whilst working near their Waterloo shop a few years ago and was immediately hooked. I was of course a fan of the Curly Wurly cake, but also partial to the Raspberry chequer cake and apple & cinnamon cake all of which are in the book. There are so many recipes that I can't wait to try. The book itself is laid out beautifully and would make an excellent addition to any budding baker's bookshelf. Thank you for sharing your secrets with us K&C!
on 11 May 2014
I've been waiting for this book for years as I regularly cross London just to buy cake made by Konditor & Cook. It lives up to every expectation. A beautiful book, classy and well produced, but the best thing is the recipes. There are many for cakes and pastries I haven't seen in K&C, plus plenty of the classics. I've cooked several and been thrilled with the results. The book is now covered with post-it notes marking other recipes to try. I feel lucky that Gerhard Jenne was persuaded to do this book and share his skills and recipes. A total must for anyone who loves baking.
on 1 June 2014
Well, I've cooked the lemon Tart, Boston Brownies and Coffee & Walnut cake so far, and everything has turned out just perfect. Just follow the recipe, you can't go wrong. Looking forward to trying more.
on 9 November 2014
There are some delectably delightful recipes contained within this treasure. Can't wait to try the recipes.
on 27 June 2014
This book is very well written and has some great recipes, lemon tart to name one, the main thing is that all the recipes work,and there are pictures with each recipe, which is a must as far as Im concerned, the price on Amazon is also better then anywhere else, as with most of their products.
on 23 July 2014
Unlike other reviewers I was unaware of the bakery and was introduced via Channel 4s' Sunday Brunch programme. Gerhard Jenne was baking the Raspberry Fudge Tart and it looked amazing. I had a go and much to my surprise I made a good job of my first attempt.

Spurred on by my success I ordered the book. It is stunning, clear recipes with wonderful photographs.

I have to say as a recent convert to twitter I have found the encouragement and advice from @konditorand cook inspiring and friendly.

I aim to bake my way through the book. The Mela Cannella (my latest bake) is delicious and once again easier than I thought. Follow the recipes and you can't go wrong.

If you love baking, want something a little different this beautiful book will deliver. If you buy one cookery book this year THIS IS THE ONE. If you know an avid baker this would make an exceptional gift.
on 24 June 2015
this has to be one of the best cake/bakery books I have ever bought! i found it quite by chance having never visited the chain. i have cooked a lot of the recipies and they turn out as stated everytime!! What a find! Get it and cook the Clementine cake, lemon tart etc!
so good to find a commercial cookbook that does wht it sais and is simple enough to use at home. many thanks Gerhard and team (although now have to go on extreme diet)
on 6 May 2014
I bought this book because I am fan of the shop and couldn't wait to get going with the recipes. The photographs are absolute works of art and justify the cost of the book on their own. Although I have only used one recipe, it was well written and the ingredients were easy to find, unlike other books I have. This would also make a great present.
on 19 May 2014
I was excited to commence using this book, especially knowing that other great names in baking, namely Peggy Porschen had some of their tutelage with Konditor and Cook. Their chocolate aka curly whirly recipe looks very similar in recipe to PP's award winning recipe for chocolate heaven cupcake from her Baking Boutique book.
The vanilla sponge recipe is also inspired, in fact both recipes which I've had time to make to date have been perfect, a testament to the generosity of the author.
Other familiar looking recipes including the use of fondant patissiere for iced fondants, even the fruit cake from Peggy seem to have been inspired by this great man, and yet has not be acclaimed or contested by the author...surprisingly.
I note that one of the reviewers like a petulant child gave a one star due to their favourite cake from the bakery the carrot cake not being included, which I think is very counter intuitive. Be grateful for the diversity of the recipe included in this book, like a carrot to a horse, and you never know, the author might divulge more culinary secrets in his next outing!!!....Yes Please.