Platform: PlayStation3|Change

on 7 September 2013
Ok, this game isn't going to be for everybody. Some may even complain that a game like this has no place on consoles like the PS3. But if, like me, you enjoy a good business based sim, this is well worth looking at.

Like most business games, you start off with limited ways of making money, but you can buy items to speed up production or diversify into more profitable produce.

Graphics are serviceable rather than outstanding, but they do the job well. You'll have seen better, but you'll also have seen worse too. (Although, see note at the end, saying this is a little harsh - added after almost a week of play)

Gameplay is where this game stands out for me. Once you have gone through the tutorials and farm tour, you are free to develop your farm in the way and at the speed that suits you. Ploughing, sowing seeds, fertilising and harvesting your crop will take up your time at the beggining of the game. These can be sold for profit or stored in a silo until the price rises.

As you progress in the game and start to add more tractors and tools, you can choose to take a more managerial role. Place your tractor, equiped with the right tool next to a field you own and you can hire a driver to do the work, allowing you to get on with something else.

The game also allows you to keep chicken, sheep and cows to add to your profits, which need various amounts of time and effort to get them producing effectively.

You can choose to base your farm in either Europe or USA, with the American farm having fewer, but much larger fields. There is also a link to the Play Station store which will allow you to buy more downloadable content in the future as it becomes available.

I'm really enjoying this title as it reminds me of the type of game I miss from my PC gaming days.

***Additional***
Having played this game a LOT since release day, I'd say I was overly harsh on the graphics. There really are some lovely views in the game, especially at sun rise and sun set. With a choice of first or third person camera views, this is a game I find myself thinking about when I'm not playing. If you need me, you'll probably find me up in t' top field!
on 22 August 2014
This game has been the perfect healer since my wife left. When we divorced all I was left with was a tv and my play station in a 1 br apt. Sometimes I find myself waking up in the middle of the night to tend to my crops out of fear that they'll leave me too if I don't care for them. I sometimes phone my ex-wife to let her know how my virtual farms going but usually a bloke answers.
There have been times whilst playing this game where I've broken down crying (she was a fan of veg and it reminds me).
I got fired from my real job because of my "addiction" to this game but I don't care cos I have a thriving farm and soon I'll be the one laughing.

Could use more tractors but pretty good.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2013
My husband is addicted to this game and can't stop playing! He is a farmer and thinks its pretty realistic. The only thing that would make the game better is if it could be multi-player and if there were mods for the PS3 like there is for the PC version.
on 6 December 2013
My 11 years old son spends every free hour playing Farming Simulator. He is now interested in agricultural domain - really surprise for me :-)
on 6 October 2013
My son was waiting on this game to be released. It is not only his #1 video game, it is a great educational tool. He lives on a farm this game give him in sight into all the different equipment used in farming today. Thanks for this great creation!
on 11 November 2013
Great game gives a good insight into farming good way for boys to learn about money and prices it's not all fun and games being a farmer
on 17 April 2015
This game was addicting in the beginning. It's easy to learn and I had lots of fun playing for hours on end. It was a change from fps, tps, act/adv games.

The major downfall of this game is it's limitations which lessens replay value. Once I got the hang of it and learned to manage 10+ fields at a time, storage and selling aspects, it became monotonous. Especially after I could afford to buy wind mills and solar for supplemental income. After that, the challenge was pretty much over. FS 13 needed more diversity. Too bad downloads weren't created to heighten the gameplay. If I knew what I know now before I purchased it, I would have looked for it cheaper, 2nd hand. I gave 4 stars instead of 5 because of the limitations and replay value.

Overall, it's still a fun game for what it is. I'm glad it's in my collection.
on 1 November 2013
First game I've owned or played in the FS series. Love the idea and love the game. Wish there were more capabilities that can be found in the PC version but overall, great game for farm lovers.
on 31 December 2013
Arrived the next day, good game if you into simulators good graphics and selection of equipment...

the things im disappointed about is that there is no multi-player, no add-ons like new tractors n other implements etc... and last of all there is a limit on how many things you can buy! this is because of a thing called slots you have a limit and once you reach that then you cant buy any other equipment, animals aint got a limit as i know of and don't take up slots...

other than that i enjoy playing the game and would recommend to others
on 8 October 2013
Great fun, I enjoyed playing it exelent platform to be a farmer without the the early mornings and late night . Perfect armchair farmer.