Different knots are applied to different jobs and, just as the right knot will do the job, so the wrong one can be disastrous.

Most people will need to use a suitable knot at some time or other in their lives. As an example, I learned about the bowline (a non-slip knot that is easily broken apart when the job is finished) as part of my early scuba diving training and have applied that knowledge on countless occasions since - even when helping to lift a yacht out of the water!!!

This is an easy-to-use work which is simple and very effective. Best of all, the illustrations are so easy to follow. For anyone from a farmer, warehouseman, gardener, boy scout, military or contemplating going to sea, this book will provide exactly the right degree of initial instruction. All you need is a short length of rope and you can start practising and practising before moving on to using a short pole (table leg or broom handle???) and then the really complicated stuff using two ropes together.

Altogether an excellent publication and one which I am happy to fully recommend.

NM
on 16 November 2012
As an istructor in rope work and rigging, I though this would be an ideal companion and aid to memory, I was not wrong, the knots are well shown with high quality images, and it also goes into area that I rarley teach so is very usefull
on 17 May 2014
The book tells you all you need to know. Illustrations are excellent, really clear and you will know how to tie each knot in no time at all. Buy it!
on 23 September 2015
Great. Teaching the kids how to tie knots is really easy with this book!
on 3 September 2013
This is my second copy of this book as my first got water-logged on our boat. I did quite a bit of research on knot books and this one was far and away the best I came across. It begins with a Top Ten knots everyone should know, and their choice of the top ten knots are well considered. Then it covers other knots you're going to find useful. Despite being a liveaboard for some years now I still refer to this book. Definitely recommended.
on 7 February 2016
Had to teach my son how to tie knots for scouts and we were both as useless as each other at it! After many failed attempts from other sources decided to take a chance on this book. Within 10 minutes we were both able to tie knots. All the type of knots you would need to learn for scouts are very clearly illustrated. For the first time no frustration and we both actually enjoyed it for once. Highly recommended.
on 2 March 2016
Excellent small book that doesn't overwhelm you with thousands of knots and variations yet gives you all the information you will conceivably need. It has a succinct, clear style both in the text and the illustrations and will fit in a (large) pocket.
on 11 October 2014
Very handy book, well illustrated and clear. Its also small enough to have around yet the pictures are clear as are the directions. Great little book whether you are a beginner, or, like me, rediscovering old skills!!
on 25 November 2015
What a great book! Every knot you could ever want is in here! Easy to follow instructions and grouped for easy finding - this should be on every sailor and scout's book shelf!
on 25 January 2015
Doesn't go into much detail about what a particular knot might be used for; the focus is on how to tie the knot. And it does that extremely well with very clear pictures.