on 28 October 1998
"Knopf City Guide: New York" is a thorough and winningly-portable guidebook.
The seven authors provide excellent advice on where to stay, eat, shop, and visit. All this is beautifully coordinated with a hodgepodge of maps, photos, and charts.
Though the pictures are generally small, they couldn't be brighter or sharper. Whether it's the opulent lobby of the Marriott Financial Center or the extraordinary biscuits and muffins at Sarabeth's, the photos are a joy to survey.
Just as colorful and helpful are the multitude of maps. You certainly won't have any problems finding your way around the city using their sterling graphics and location indicators.
Like all the Knopf City Guides, "New York" is a grand little guidebook.
on 22 June 1999
In a mad search for a good book about NYC, I came across the Knopf version. It's silver cover caught my eye at first, but when I opened the book and saw the pictures, maps, restaurant summaries, etc. I was sold. This book not only helped me find my way around the city, but also helped me to figure out what I wanted to do on a day trip. One of the best things about this book compared to others is that it includes many pictures of the sites you are likely to visit. Most other books that I saw only included a description, I like to know what I am looking for.
Overall, I gave this book 5 stars. It really captures what I need to know about New York.