VINE VOICEon 14 June 2005
I already have Ann Budd's sweater pattern book which is a godsend, and so purchased this one, which I am looking forward to using. This one features hats, scarves, socks, basic sweater, tank top and gloves. The same format - lots of tables, with gauges and stitch amounts, where you swatch in your chosen yarn and needles. Complicated on first look, but really easy once you get the hang of. I found it helpful to sketch out my design first and write out the measurements before circling in pencil all the figures I needed from the tables in the books.
There are so many combinations from both books, I really feel that I don't need to buy much patterns ever again! (means more cash to spend on yarn!) Again, its great as you can use anything from (UK yarns) 4 ply to Chunky (ie Rowan Kidsilk Haze right up to Rowan Big Wool!!) As I am trying to design my own garments at the moment, these books are just what I need - basic pattern tables and I can work round them with my ideas and designs.
The only thing that was missing from this one that was in the sweater book is the yarn amounts, which is SO helpful - only a rough range guide here, so I am going to have to guess wildly. But this is the first book, so it was probably just thought up for the second one.
on 30 January 2006
I can only say positive things about this book.

The tables in this book are easy to follow but this is explained at the beginning.
Multiple sizes from children to adults.
There are patterns for jumpers, vests, tams, socks, gloves mittens and scarves. They are only basic patterns but sometimes you only need a basic design.
There are also plenty of tips to help in making these garments.
The items I have knitted so far are a pair of socks (small size)which I incorportated a pattern from one of my stitch dictionaries, and gloves in stocking stitch (small size) and they have knitted up perfectly.
A very good resource to add to any knitter's library.
on 3 February 2007
Ann Budd has many of her patterns published in Interweave Knits - and I like them all, a bit unfortunate for my ever growing collection of yarn and projects. However this is a book that will help you work through the yarn you have already bought or may be about to buy. The patterns are are for mittens, gloves, hats, tams, scarves, socks, vests and sweaters. Sizes go from baby to adult, so a great book for creating gifts for family and friends as well. Instructions are very clear and straightforward and the book is very well laid out. Recomended for beginner to expert knitters.
on 18 January 2008
Ann Budd's book should be a staple purchase for anyone's bookshelf - whether beginning knitters or more experienced lovers of the craft. In this one book she provides easy to understand tables and instructions to create mittens, gloves, hats, tams, scarves, socks, vests and a multitude of sweaters. Each of these patterns are given in numerous sizes and gauges, so you can realise your idea of having a cardigan knit in that gorgeous yarn you have been pawing at the yarn store...

What's more, each item is presented in a number of different variations with ideas for embellishments and gives you the building blocks to add in a whole world of colour work and stitch patterns, edgings and embellishments of your own. I have not been knitting long, but since I started I have been creating my own ideas, but it has been trial and error, this book takes the guesswork out of things, leaving you to concentrate your creative pawers on the more enjoyable task of picking yarn, choosing patterns and designs.

Excellent book, I'd recommend it to anyone.
on 5 April 2008
I bought this book September 07. From the patterns, I have since successfully knitted: 6 pairs of socks (currently on 7th), 1 scarf, 1 beret (or tammy as it is in the book), 1 pair of children's mitts all in various sizes and types of yarn and look forward to knitting many more items. Instructions are clear and concise, basic items can easily be constructed, with gentle advice and encouragement towards experimentation in stitches, sizes, styles. I also have Ann Budd's 'sister' book for sweaters which I also find unbeatable. By using the patterns I have learned a great deal about finishing and technique as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.
on 6 October 2011
This book arrived yesterday and I am so pleased; I had previously bought the Bruce Weinstein: Knits Men Want and had not got a clue how to read an American pattern. Today reading the Ann Budd it suddenly all drop into place and made sense.:- the current Dk Iam using knits up as 6 stitches per inch on 4 mm needles. I cant imagine ever having to buy any more knitting patterns . I can honestly say that the US format makes sense, you can knit any size on any type of yarn, rather than UK system of buying patterns for each type of yarn. Yipee. I am so relieved.
on 14 June 2009
This book has very clear instructions and allows you to knit items in multiple sizes. After a long time of looking for sock and glove patterns to fit non- average sizes I have been able to knit suitable items to the size I need. I recommend this book to all knitters
on 31 December 2012
We all knit differently, and this book is designed to take that into account. I knit to a loose tension and I have ended up with items I've made not being the right size because my tension isn't the same as the pattern - I have a enormous baby bootee that would fit a 3 year old to prove it! Ann Budd's book means an end to such problems. You choose your yarn and knit tension squares/gauge swatches using your preferred needle size; work out how many stitches you knit to an inch; find the garment you want, and the tables will tell you how many stitches to cast on and rows to knit. It's that simple.
on 11 May 2009
This is a really useful collection of patterns to use with various weights of yarn, and also for a wide range of people sizes (babies up to adult). There are sections on incorporating extra features to embellish the basic patterns. This is a book I can envisage using repeatedly.
on 9 April 2014
I think this book is excellent.

The style takes some getting used to, i.e. tables and tables of instructions. However, once you have gotten used to the process of determining gauge and working out the size required, the results are very professional.

The basic design of all the patterns in this book is what is so appealing as it allows you to add any pattern into the basic framework (lace, cables, fair-isle etc) are all easily added in. Obviously to add extra designs in you might also want to take a look at some form of stitch or colour dictionary, but by going that extra step the results are individual. This is the first book that I turn to when doing any accessories, and my result for each item are always incredibly different.

I would recommend this book to anybody, but please be aware that you do have to do a bit of pre-planning prior to starting a project.