on 8 April 2009
I bought three of these.I used one of them just once to fry somwe chips. It seemed to work okay but when it cooled down the inide the inside of the glass tube was covered with what appeared to be condensation indicating that the inside must have been damp when the thing was assembled. The scale was unreadable. I called Kitchen Craft who really didn't want to know with the only advice being offered 'Call Amazon, just as you would if you had bought it from a shop'. I haven't bothered as I will just avoid Kitchen Craft products in future.
22 comments34 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2009
This is an awful product. We were very careful with it but it broke the very first time we used it. dreadful.
11 comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2008
I have bought three of this type of thermometer and so far the tip has broken on two of them. I think this makes them a bit dangerous for using in the kitchen.
0Comment39 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2013
Unfortunately on my third use, whilst making fudge, the end of the thermometer broke leaving small fragments of glass in the batch of fudge. For something that is supposed to withstand temperatures much higher than the 115c required for the fudge this performed very poorly. I think I need to spend a little more for better quality.
on 2 December 2013
The first time I used it for toffee it came out as brittle rather than chewy toffee and there was condensation inside the glass, the second time there was so much condensation it was difficult to read the temps. So i9t is my belief that this thermometer is innacurate and not completely sealed (allows condensation).
Not recommended
on 7 January 2010
difficult to read as condensation builds up on the inside of the thermomter on first use. When it was being washed it became clear it was not watertight and the scale began to run and fade. second use saw the clip snap, third use saw the thing shatter altogether, causing me to waste a batch of sweet chilli jam. Rubbish, stick to stainless steel ones, it's worth the extra money.
on 24 August 2010
I used this for only the second time on Sunday (22/8)when I made some jam. Noticed condensation inside the thermometer and couldn't see the temp. clearly, removed from the jam pan and the round ball that clicks into the bottom had come loose and the temperature paper guide had dropped to the bottom and seeped out into the jam. Bits were floating in 6lbs of Bramble jelly - what a waste - I had to throw it away.
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2011
The first and only time I used this thermometer which I bought a year ago for my mother so we could make our favourites like toffee and fudge and the tip breaks off and lands one can only know where into our home made fudge which my brother had wanted for a romantic valentines evening. Thank you very much you fraud for ruining an evening and perfectly good food. Be warned this thermometer is absolute rubbish hence the probable price reduction, all the reviews that give this thermometer a good rating are clear lies because it is a pile of rubbish.
on 20 July 2010
Easy to use. Easy to read. Accurate. Be careful when washing the thermometer, there is a hole in the cap and water can get inside if the thermometer is completely immersed.
on 19 March 2010
This broke in my tablet first time I used. Had to thow the batch out. won't be buying again.