on 7 July 2010
This is, simply, one of the best pieces of television drama that I have seen. With simply compelling performances, especially by Ian Mc Shane as King Silas, this roller coaster of (sadly, but a single) season which depicts the fortunes of Shiloh, the Benjamin dynasty and the rise of a hero, David Shepherd (Christopher Egan) will have you reveling in the magic of Michael Green's splendidly told and sumptuous production.
Based on the Old Testament events around Saul, Solomon and David, this 21st century rendering resonates with just how alike the events of those times are to our own in terms of what motivates both our triumphs and our downfall. With excellent support roles by the likes of Brian Cox, Allison Miller, Sebastian Stan, Eamon Walker and Susanna Thompson, this is truly one show you shouldn't miss, even if it means buying the region 1 version to do so.
If you enjoy you drama at the level of 'The Lion in Winter' (Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn) then this is certainly for you.
on 28 January 2012
One of the best TV Series I have seen.
I was SO disappointed when I heard they did not make another of this series!
Apparently in the US they put it on at some obscure time and those that happened to find it by accident were hooked.The same happened for me found it at 11 or 12 at night by accident- really loeved this.Hope they may repeat it at a decent hour.Wisg it was in a Zone viewable in Europe.
on 24 November 2010
I am saddened to hear that this has been cancelled - I watched it on Satellite TV in the Middle East and it is most definitely one of the best pieces of TV I have seen in years.

I'll just say I agree with the other reviewers.

It was brilliant - I have been watching out for Season 2 - but it seems I am going to have to wait forever!!!
on 10 November 2012
the title of this review says it all for me. I really enjoyed this series (or at least season). the acting was superb, the writing was clever and the cinematography was compelling. However, it was written to carry on into season 2 which never happened. this really leaves you feeling incomplete, like reading a book you enjoy very much and then loosing it without the option of finding another copy... 5 stars for story, 1 star for how it left you hanging.

shame on the networks for at least not offering their viewers a single 'wrap-up' episode to at least finnish it off properly.
on 19 March 2015
I have loved this series since I first watched it at a friend's house. The whole idea behind the story is wonderful, and it is wonderfully brought to life. It is a great shame that this was cancelled before the second season, I would have loved to see the story develop.
on 11 November 2009
awesome is a word used a lot these days but in this case i mean it
this is one of the best series ive seen - and ive seen a lot.
it is the most tragically underveiwed underated series of all time.
because the american tv company screwed up its airing times
and didnt advertise the right way to the right people.
and basically sabotaged its own creation
this is a cancelled gem.
i dont think its been shown in the uk and i doubt it will be now.
so most of you may never know what i am talking about
this is such a shame,the storyline is unique as is the atmosphere it creates.
the visuals are stunning,as is everything else about it.
ian mcshane shows why he is held in such high regard,
but the rest of the cast is excellent too.
if you get the chance to catch this do so.
i have been very annoyed at cancellations before,but never have i seen such a wasted oppurtunity
i wish it had been made on a smaller network it would have had a better chance of survival
if the big networks in the us dont get 20 million veiwers an ep they cancel
think of the the best film you ever watched - now imagine if they had cut it off halfway through making it
thats what they have done here
they could have wrapped it up so easily they had a possible ending right at there fingertips
if they werent going to make any more they could have at least finished it.
i doubt if this will ever come out on region 2 dvds
i will buy the dvds in region 1 if its the only way i can get them
its frustrating not to have a finish but its that good i would still rather have unfinished than not at all
on 27 July 2015
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I utterly and absolutely without a shadow of a doubt ADORED this series. The story, the characters, the setting...every single thing about it was utter perfection.

The only negative thing I have to say really is that it's such a huge shame that such a magnificent show was never given the recognition that it wholly deserved.
on 19 January 2016
My granddauther liked it it was part off her Christmas pressie
on 22 April 2015
Very pleased with service, enjoyed the programme
on 29 October 2014