Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-32 of 32 posts in this discussion
Posted on 9 Aug 2011 12:20:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Aug 2011 12:23:00 BDT
The cost is obviously market driven. The publisher has decided that this vastly popular series will sell lots of ebooks and hardbacks and that enough people will pay a premium to read the books 'early'. The ebook price will drop to the paperback price when the paperback is released, and at some time in future it will drop down to about half that. Is this gouging - possibly. Is the reason the greed of the publisher - only partly - Its also caused as much by customers being willing to pay this price. Personally I feel ebooks should be discounted off of the paperback cost. But thats only my opinion. If you dont agree dont buy the books. Or buy from a publisher like Baen who offer their ebooks at a reasonable price.

Ill probably wait for a second hand version of this - as the market will saturate quite quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2011 14:24:25 BDT
Latenighter says:
I think "luxury" in this context means "not a necessity". Necessities are shelter and food; electronic gadgets are definitely luxuries, including mp3s M Riches!
If you can't afford to buy fiction books you can borrow them free from your local public library, at least in Britain. There is no excuse for stealing, which I believe is implied by M. Riches' boast of "other ways of obtaining them". Theft deprives the author of his livelihood, and why should you get something for nothing M Riches, when you obviously have managed to afford a computer and/or an MP3 player?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2011 14:31:52 BDT
Latenighter says:
No-one is forced into piracy; it's theft and done purely for profit.

Posted on 17 Oct 2011 22:00:55 BDT
M.Johnson says:
THIS is why I won't get a Kindle. I got my dad one for christmas but we've been reading this series in paperback because of this...

Posted on 18 Dec 2011 20:58:37 GMT
Hmmmm... £12.50 for the hardback, or £12.99 for e-version..... There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!!!
Oh, the paper version won (well, in 6 months or so when Tesco have it for 99p)

Posted on 17 Jun 2012 23:31:04 BDT
Mrs. V. Robb says:
Well if I wait for book 6 to appear perhaps by then book 5 will be a more reasonable price .......But I might just borrow it from my local library lol

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 17:18:56 BDT
Clarino says:
The ebook however has lower overhead costs, which should be reflected in the purchase price. Not having to print and distribute the ebook means that charging the same price gains you a far greater profit.

Not to mention GRRM's outright greed in separating the paperback into two volumes, and charging the price of both to anyone getting the electronic edition. It sickens me to the point where I have voted with my wallet to forget the ISOIAF series altogether. Shame, I had been looking forward to this book for years, but GRRM clearly doesn't give a damn about his readers.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  30 May 2011
Latest post:  23 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 12 July 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (637)