4.4 out of 5 stars8,752
Digital Storage Capacity: 16|Configuration: Without Special Offers|Connectivity Technology: Wi-Fi + 4G LTE (Vodafone)|Change

on 2 December 2014
I couldn't wait to get home and unwrap my new (reduced) Kindle Fire HDX. Straight out of the box it was wonderfully light and started up with no issues. I was worried the 7" would be a tad on the small side but I can comfortably hold it in one hand for reading or in both hands and use both thumbs for typing. It's much more comfortable than the iPad! I have an old Kindle which I was going to keep for reading as I wasn't sure how it would feel reading from a backlit screen - however I have immediately auctioned off my old kindle to a family member! The display is wonderful - and it's great to actually see my books in colour - the library looks very impressive!

The only issue I had from starting it up was the slow internet connection with a couple of error messages, but doing the trusted 'turn it off and on' completely fixed it. I haven't used the Mayday button yet, although when I was testing it out it did take a few minutes to connect.

Overall, even though I've only had it for a couple of days I am completely blown over with it - my best purchase in recent months. The screen is fantastic - Put it through it's paces by watching a nature documentary from BBC iplayer and the detail was incredible.

Very easy navigation with a user friendly interface. Just waiting for a case to arrive so I can bring it out to play on the commute to work!

UPDATE: did have to use Mayday for help printing a document-couldn't have asked for a better service! So much easier than trawling through internet pages and forums! That's something I hate about Apple-their support is actually a nightmare to get into! Kudos kindle!
1818 comments|645 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2015
I received one of these as a birthday present a few months ago. Initially I was delighted and very pleased with my device, which had a great screen resolution and speedy internet access. Recently a friend had warned me of troubles he'd had with his own model (same as mine)which had stopped working just outside warranty, but I'd dismissed this as just bad luck, when the same thing happened to me today (-luckily mine is still in warranty! ). Having powered it off I switched it back on about an hour later - except the device wouldn't come back on. Just a blank screen. Despite attempts to re-boot and charge the battery plus a phone session with an Amazon Customer Service rep - it looks like after only 7 months it's a deceased Kindle Fire HD! Will I be purchasing another one of these? No I don't think so, given that my case isn't the only example of total Kindle Fire device failure that I am currently aware of. Be warned - buy this model at your own risk!! Very disappointing 😠
I received this today despite having only ordered it yesterday afternoon. Cleary Amazon have plenty of HDX 7 inch models in stock. I went for the cheapest option - 16Gb of memory, (Wi-Fi only of course), and `with special offers' to cut the cost further. This is the third generation of Fire released in the US market and the second UK version. I purchased one of the first US models which has worked well for the last couple of years. The new model is a significant improvement on this.

Headlines, well first, the screen is absolutely fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the screen very bright, so bright in fact I've turned down the brightness settings. The screen has a far better resolution compared to the iPad Air (263 pixels per inch v. 323) which I bought last week and text is sharper and colour reproduction seems more realistic. Needless to say the screen is a long way away from the original Fire.

Second, and a little unexpectedly, the Fire is a lot lighter. I see its lighter than the last 7 inch HD version, and is considerably lighter than my original US-only model. Not that any of the 7 inch Fires have seemed too heavy to hold one handed for reading. The new Fire just makes it easier still.

Third, the tablet is a lot faster. The Fire uses the same processor that's in my Sony mobile phone and I've noticed a significant improvement with that compared to the last generation of chip. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor seems likely to be future proof for another couple of years.

Fourth, using the tablet with LoveFilm results is really high-quality film viewing. There's little reflection on the screen, on my BT Infinity internet link there's no delay in films downloading and no video stutter with images in brilliant quality. Partly this may reflect also the `ultra-fast' dual band Wi-Fi now built in. For printed content books are easy to read but I've never suffered from eye-strain reading from LCD screens. Others will be better able to comment on this. Magazines look brilliant making full use of the outstanding screen.

Finally, the sound is easily good enough to watch films with but I'd recommend headphones for music.

There are other features that I doubt I'll use much if at all. The `Mayday' function seems a little pointless especially as the most common problem I'm likely to experience is Wi-Fi connectivity issues! I purchased the 16Gb storage capacity as I tend to use the Fire mostly for reading and watching streamed films and Amazon's Cloud service. As a result additional memory is not needed for me. Nor do I need a rear camera (just as well as this 7 inch model doesn't have one) and I won't much use the front camera although it will work well for occasional video Skype call.

Potential downsides remain from other versions of the Fire. Although the version of Android is newer is still has a very heavy Amazon skin and you don't have access to the Play store. But for my use of the Tablet this isn't a problem especially as so many Apps are now available from Amazon.

Overall a dramatic enhancement on my old Fire, a brilliant screen, and a lightweight tablet which has a high build quality. For the price it's very good value for money. As a result highly recommended. I'll post an update on battery life after I've used the tablet for a couple of weeks. The specifications suggest this is a further area that's been improved on.
3030 comments|2,565 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2014
At eighty one, a lot of my friends have now gone but now I have found a new friend, my Kindle Fire HDX. Wonderful!
1111 comments|441 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this for my husband for a Christmas present, however I ended up giving it to him early on the HDX's release day as I just couldn't keep it a secret until Christmas. I haven't had a chance up till now to post my review for it as we have been a little bit busy with our newborn and I would just like to say how impressed with it we both are.
If I had know how good a Kindle device was then I would have purchased one a long time ago and I had vowed that I would never purchase any type of e-reader device as I much prefer an actual physical book however the HDX is slowly bringing me around to considering purchasing another one but for myself.
I ordered the 64GB version and my husband has not even come near to filling the memory as yet. My husband mainly uses the Kindle to watch films on it and to read e-books which he finds really useful when it is his turn to sit up with our newborn for the middle of the night feed as it means he can read hands free whilst feeding and winding her. My husband especially likes the way the Kindle advises what percentage of a particular e-book you have read and how it estimates the time it will take him to read to the end of a chapter based on it calculating your reading speed as he says this pushes him to read to the end of the chapter whereas with a paper book he would just finish reading where he was up to at the time.
The display is absolutely crystal clear and the sound quality and touch sensitivity etc are excellent. We have an (Protective Childproof Outdoor Kindle Cover by Otterbox for Kindle Fire HDX 7", Black (will only fit All-New Kindle Fire HDX 7")) case for the HDX which has proven invaluable for protecting the HDX from our toddler's accidental drops of it when he has borrowed it from Daddy to play with and I would highly recommend this case if you have a little one in your home.
My one 'niggle' with the HDX and I believe this is a Kindle wide issue is that it does not support non Amazon apps and games as far as I can tell which has been disappointing as I have a large collection of Big Fish Games that I would have liked to install on the Kindle for my toddler and for this reason I have deducted a star marking from my review. Other than that issue I would highly recommend the Kindle HDX and as mentioned above I am seriously considering getting one for myself too.

EDIT 21/07/2014:-
My husband wouldn't do without his Kindle now and in fact it has become very much a family used thing especially recently when we were away camping for a few days for my toddler to be able to watch some children's programmes on it during the travel there and back and for a little bit during the day while my husband and I were busy with the baby and cooking etc.
on 24 August 2014
I had been thinking of buying a tablet for some months and did a lot of research before actually buying this one. In the end it was a toss up between a Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HDX; the reviews were mainly positive for the latter, so when a certain high street store were doing the 32GB version for £60.00 less than advertised on Amazon, I took the plunge...
I've had the device for three days now and really glad I opted for this version.The screen is fantastically clear and bright with the device itself very light and thin. When I registered my Kindle with Amazon( just type in your log-in details), all my purchased music was instantly available and there is a facility for you to download it all to your device so you can play it all off-line. Navigating the web and e-mails is very fast- sometimes faster than my PC and downloading books take a few seconds. The only quibble I could really honestly say that I had issue with was transferring my own files from my PC to the Kindle. All my personal MP4 videos appeared to take an age to upload to the Cloud Drive, so I converted them to avi files and they took a fraction of the time and almost instantly synced with my Kindle. It's really best to upload to your Cloud Drive as transferring photos and videos point to point takes an age. Some non-Amazon bought music wouldn't upload either i.e. from CDs or music files on my PC as they are DRM registered. The power button is a little awkward being on the rear of the device- as is the volume control- so makes it a little troublesome when your Kindle is in a protective case.
Other than these minor points, I'm really pleased- couldn't decide whether to give this four or five stars, but gave Amazon the benefit of the doubt as I've never personally had any negative product associated with them. Hope this review helps someone out there...
UPDATE: If you want a decent case for this device, then get the one from InventCase advertised on Amazon for less than £15 as it has all the right holes in all the right places for the Kindle 7 HDX; I guess I bought my first case rather rashly in hindsight: go toNew Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch 7" 2013 (ALL Model Versions - 16GB, 32GB & 64GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE) BLACK Multi-Function Leather SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Scr...
UPDATE NUMBER TWO; Had the Kindle for a few weeks now and I am still really pleased with it. A few things worth mentioning; I had to contact the help facility- the "Mayday" button- as my web browser appeared non-responsive. I was connected in less than 10 seconds and the solution was actually " drawn" on my device by my contact. Brilliant- wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I became stuck. I've now downloaded a lot of my non-Amazon music and personal videos to my Kindle via Cloud; once you've uploaded them and they sync to your device, simply download them onto your Kindle, then delete them from your Amazon Cloud, freeing up your free 5GB of storage. The battery life can be a little draining- I watched a video from BBC I-Player for two hours and the power discharged nearly 40 per cent from a full charge-but will last a lot longer just listening to music, reading books or when you are generally on-line. The Amazon AppStore suits my personal needs very well so I don't have to go through other channels, though other reviewers have commented on their paucity.
I have found my Kindle much easier to use that I thought I would and the fabulous resolution on the screen has made my friends and family think that I am a great photographer too!!! If I can understand and actively enjoy this device, then anyone can. Hope this helps.
22 comments|392 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2013
I brought the tablet as a gift for my daughter, wanting to make use of the Kindle FreeTime parental features and access to the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

After a couple of hours use, setting it up so that it would be ready for Christmas day, I found that the Kindle Fire HDX is not fit for the purpose I wanted it for; I also found some other issues.

The main issues are:

1. Kindle FreeTime does not show any books that have been borrowed from the Lending Library. On the Lending Library, a headline of having 400,000 books available seems ridiculous when you can only have 1 a month!

2. Kindle FreeTime Unlimited (Unlike in the US) is not available, so you have to individually purchase and assign to your child's account. This is in contrast to the Unlimited service in the US where you can let your child have unlimited access to of a massive selection age appropriate Movies, TV, Apps and books.

3. Video file compatibility is limited on the device, with some commonly used file types being unsupported; Surprising, as it is one of the most powerful 7" tablets out at the moment, with amazing in built speakers.

4. The Silk browser is whilst fast, has compatibility issues, with a lot of web sites not rendering them correctly. Unlike the excellent Chrome browser, which is not available on the Amazon App store.

5. For those with Sky TV, the corresponding Android Sky Go App is not available in the Amazon App Store; Sky has stated that they will not be releasing the App for any of the Kindle Fire devices. This is a shame as the screen is fantastic for watching movies and TV.

There is no argument that the Hardware is top notch, but key features and services are either non-existent or a shadow of what has been on offer in the US for over a year.

Amazon's Fire OS 3.0 still has a long way to go.
2424 comments|1,091 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2016
I have already got two other tablets, a 10 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and a 7 inch Alcatel Pop One Touch ( which I signed up to on impulse while in the EE shop for something else. With 10gb of data included, I thought it was a good deal.)
The reason I wanted this Kindle Fire was for reading books. The Alcatel screen resolution was so poor I couldn't read for long without my eyes hurting. I got the 4G version so I could put my data SIM in.
This model came with a Vodafone sim. There was a link on the home screen to pay for data. As I was using my own SIM I deleted the link. I had to Google how to put my own SIM in, but it was quite easy when I watched a YouTube video.
The screen resolution of the HDX is amazing. Much better than my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone even. Perfect for reading.
As this is not just a reading device I've found myself using it to watch videos on Amazon Instant, for which there is a link at the top of the home screen. I treated myself to Amazon Prime after using the HDX for a few days.
Before I turned on the HDX I applied a screen protector which I had bought at the same time. This has anti reflective properties and cost about £11 I would fully recommend using one to improve your experience of this device.
I have had the device since Christmas and it has frozen a couple of times, I just turned it on and off again to solve the issue.
As I bought this when it was on offer for cyber Monday , it came with the special offers included. These are not as obtrusive as I expected, they are only on the Lock Screen. You can pay £10 to have it removed but I don't think I will bother as they don't really bother me.
The Amazon Apps store is still a bit limited, and doesn't have all of the apps available as on Android, but as I bought this primarily as an eReader I don't mind that much. The main apps I've noticed which aren't available are the Google apps and YouTube. I believe Facebook is available but I haven't installed it, keeping that on my phone only.
I hope this review has been helpful, if a bit rambling!
on 25 December 2014
This is based on my experience, I am an avid user of Android. I have had several tablets and Android phone.

The Amazon fire HDX, oh where to start on this amazing yet disappointing outing from Amazon.

Firstly the build quality is amazing along with the specs, the screen is beautiful and it feels snappy aa would be expect from a high end cpu and 2gb ram.

This is where the great remarks finish, the software is limited, restrictive and very poor. This being the element of this product that will always keep it back from other rivals and from ever reaching its full potential.

I give it a 3/5 due to the actual physical aspect. The lack of a decent app store and disapointing amazon approach to the consumer gets 0/5.

If you read this amazon, then you need to free up the device from your commercial gasp. Allow then consumer to actually feel like they own a device, not a rental that doesn't feel like anything more than a device you test at the store.
33 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2014
I bought two of these at Christmas for my children who have been stealing my tablet for some time. I opted for the Kindle HDX because it seemed to offer a good hardware spec, parental control features and solid build quality.

I have been bitterly disappointed.

Firstly what isn't clear on the advert is that the parental control actually creates a separate section of the tablet which means that for two users the apps must be bought and installed twice taking up valuable space not to mention earning Amazon double revenues.

Secondly the device has been glitchy at best, often losing wifi connectivity (which according to the forum is more common that I realised). App's frequently crash and this seems to be to do with the amazon skin on android because i often have the same apps on my device and they run smoothly and without problems despite lower specs.

Thirdly, we have had a lot of problems with any none Amazon content. Music and Videos which in theory should play don't or albums are broken up into individual songs making playing or shuffling albums impossible.

Finally battery life has been disappointing with only around 4-5 hours on average. I have complained to Amazon and they have replaced the devices without complaint but the replacement ones perform the same. I have just bought the Nexus 7 for myself which outshines the kindle on every level and cost be over £70 less.

Having been a devout Amazon fan and traditional kindle fan for many years, this has been one huge disappointment for me and the children.
1010 comments|648 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse