on 1 April 2014
This is the only Amazon produced show that I've actually enjoyed so far. It's like Big Bang Theory but with real people and filmed in real San Francisco locations / buildings rather than ropey sets. It's quite funny and a bit more daring than network shows of a similar ilk. Please give it a second season!
on 8 December 2014
I signed up to Amazon Prime just before Christmas as part of their marketing drive where you got one month's free use of Amazon Prime. At the end of December, I'll be at a bit of a cross-roads. Do I start paying for Amazon Prime? I ended up binge-watching this series because it was so good and afterwards I was watching an episode a day. This is a sleeper hit which (as some other reviewers mentioned) is filmed in in authentic San Francisco locations and seems less superficial than comedies like the Big Bang Theory. If there was a second season, I'd definitely renew my Prime membership but now I'm not so sure. As someone at work pointed out to me, while there is a biggish catalogue of films on Amazon Prime, it is not updated as frequently as the competition and so I am left at a crossroads. If Amazon invests in quality material like this, maybe more customers like me would renew without hesitation.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2014
Really loved this show, all four of the main characters bring something different to the group and just play off each other well. Trey is great and has a believable relationship with Nash, and Mitchell makes the whole thing geekier than The Big Bang Theory but is still hilarious.
Can’t wait for a second season!
on 16 January 2015
This was not instant love. The imediate context of peninsular techdom is a strong flavour and has the potential of being a Marmite divider. I doubt I'm part of the target demographic and consequently felt somewhat alienated from the fashion-tech jargon [and I am a tech!]. BUT 3 episodes in and the characters harden up and stories are developed, there is bravery, comedy pathos and true humanity in the realisation from a diverse and brilliant cast. The inevitable comparisons to The Big Bang Theory will be unfair; Betas is primarily a drama with laughs, TBBT is a sketch show with dramatic assides. If any of the cast and crew get to read these comments, the trajectory is MASH, Scrubs and Spaced territory. Stroke, stroke we know you lovies can't get enough of that. Keep up the great work.

To borrow the vanacular, Betas has developed into a Killer App. I'm watching this on the Amazon Prime trial. If this gets a second series I'm signing up for a full subscription. Confession; I love Marmite.
on 17 September 2014
I've been watching this for the last two days and all I can say is BRILLIANT!

I've seen a few people give this a low rating, and all's I can say it don't be put off at all. This is comedy / drama in a modern age among up-rising tech firms. It might not be the most accurate, as in reality, but this gives a bit of a new spin on what can be achieved with technology and determination.

All the character's involved are stereotypical computer nerds, and show a true sense of how people are in the industry. Some things are obviously over-exaggerated within such a small time-line, but for half an hour an episode, you can't expect every detail of their process to success / failure to be shown within that time. Things may seem rushed, but I personally think this adds to the series, and keeps people on their toes wanting more.

I'm really enjoying this, and from all the short series I've seen, I think this is a bit different from most others. Spot on and keep'em coming.
on 3 April 2014
I’d grown wary about new TV comedies after how bad Two & A Half Men and How I Met Your Mother got in recent years, but I really enjoyed Betas. Some great performances from the likes of Joe Dinicol and Jon Daly (who I haven’t seen since Human Giant, still hilarious) – Ed Begley Jr was great too, and you need to check out the guest appearance of Moby, you won’t believe what he says (the series as a whole though is even ruder than Moby!). It’s one of the best edgy comedies in ages, and well worth a watch if you’re a fan of funny shows at all!
on 16 August 2014
The best series I've watched in a long time! It's not exactly a comedy, although there are jokes and puns thrown around. Sure, it's not 'perfect' but whatever is? I enjoyed the storyline and the actors played a terrific part. Any entrepreneurs out there can strongly relate to this entire series, except perhaps the last episode which leaves us hanging.

I am extremely disappointed and deeply saddened that Amazon will not commit to a second series. Nonetheless, I'd recommend anyone with a keen interest in business and technology to give this a watch. Perhaps this show needs an investor to lend a hand with the finances and allow this great series to grow and flourish!
on 25 October 2015
Love this show, probably mainly because I am a developer as well so I develop part of my app then watch an episode and see how Brb evolves. Such a shame there is no second season and doesn't appear to be one coming any time soon. The group reminds me of The Inbetweeners, the small comedy aspects reminds me of The IT Crowd, and the setting/environment reminds me of The Big Bang Theory, all of which are great shows.
on 4 April 2014
Great show really liked the whole idea. I really hope this goes to a second season as it is a strong show.
on 5 November 2014
I don't usually review too many things, but I felt the need to review this.

PLEASE MAKE A SECOND SEASON!!

It's one of the few shows that have came out of Amazon that are genuinely great.

I thought it was good after the first couple of episodes, which I'd watched after Silicon Valley but I didn't think it was as good as that. After watching a few more, I think it's better (but both are great). The characters seriously grew on me and their little idiosyncrasies are hilarious.

It really made me sad when I read that it wasn't getting a second season.

It so deserves it!