on 15 May 2013
I bought the KMM770 at the beginning of December 2012 and have been thrilled with it every day. At the time it cost £329.99. I am 31 and had spent a lot of time researching the best machine for me; one that I hope will do the first few decades of married life! I found reviews on Amazon to be really useful in my research so will write one myself in the hope it helps someone else.

I decided against the Kitchenaid in favour of the Kenwood simply because of the range of attachments; the Kitchenaid seeming to be more use for those who make a lot of sweet foods, whereas the broad spectrum of attachments available for the Kenwood attracted me because I mainly use my machine for savoury foodstuff; bread dough (who has the energy and time to knead pizza dough by hand on a week night?!), crepe batter (savoury crepes a new favourite easy-meal simply because this machine makes the job so easy) etc. I also learned that the cute K-Mix doesn't have the same attachment outlets, meaning limitations I wasn't prepared to accept in exchange for 'style'. I was only considering Chef models until I saw this model at a very competitive price during the American Black Friday Sale in December, which allowed me to spend what I was expecting to, but get a much bigger and better (more powerful and with several included items) machine. I would not consider a plastic bodied machine after seeing one on display somewhere and feeling it was too flimsy and, well, plasticky. Not worth the perceived saving; better to spend a little more and go for metal body every time.

Size-wise I am thrilled, I was dreading the arrival of a monster -more having to find space for one in my modest kitchen.. however I am thrilled to have both capacity and space! Now when I see a 'Chef' I can't understand how people cope. I have not found it distressingly noisy; the machine could be made quieter but I am sure that either its compact design or price would suffer for it as noise reduction is only achievable by using quieter components (£££) or building in noise dampening (bigger machine body). I am happy with my machine as it is and would never dream of trying to converse with somebody whilst blitzing fresh coffee. I have not so far regretted the fact the the KMM770's motor is 1200W rather than the 1500W on some other Major models.

The stainless steel bowl is great and I love that it is without handles on this version. They would just get in the way when trying to wash it up, or take up space in the fridge. The thermo-glass jug is a brilliant inclusion for smoothies, for ice in cocktails and blitzing soups -would have cost £50 to buy separately and is a huge plus. The splash guard is brilliant, even if the fit is a little slack; it is held in place on the machine by two small notches which align onto two blobs on the machine head. The flap to pour stuff in is the perfect size and it's another surprisingly clever addition. It does threaten to fall off but usually because the notches are not quite aligned onto the blobs (that will make sense if you have a look at the machine).

I immediately bought the spice mill attachment for the high-speed (top) outlet; something I consider essential -four little glass jars with lids and the mill attachment itself, I can whiz up two separate sauces for pasta in a moment (husband likes home-made pesto, I love lemon and olive oil with black pepper) and have a constant supply of freshly ground black pepper without having to crunch a pepper mill endlessly over a vat of bolognese sauce.

My only problem when I opened the box was that Amazon appeared to list the new Flexi-beater as an included item. When the HUGE box arrived there was no sign of it, and no mention of it on the box itself despite having been mentioned in the comparison chart and the item listing. I called Amazon and they kindly sent me one, I find it very useful. I still have to scrape the bowl a little but think that is a case of requiring adjustment rather than a flaw in the design. I believe the Kitchenaid JUST has the edge on that one..! However, as I rarely use the machine for cake type batters it is not really a big problem, and a spatula is supplied after all.

In summary I am certain I made the right choice for my stand mixer, and will continue to expand my assortment of attachments, all of which will improve my chances of bothering to try new recipes -home made sausages, pasta and ice-cream, anyone..?
on 11 January 2013
This is the best machine I have ever had. My previous Kenwood, which I bought second hand 20 years ago, finally died at Christmas. I never appreciated how much of a workhorse it was until it was gone. Upgrading to the 6.7l bowl is amazing. It is huge and the whisk etc can be adjusted if it's not a perfect fit. Cakes, bread, crumble, cream, stuffing, it is all so effortless. Monster motor makes light work of everything. Stainless steel tools are the best. Dishwashers HATE aluminium so I was always left with black marks unless I hand washed them - like that ever happens! Would recommend this model to anyone and everyone. You don't have to do huge quantities, 2oz of buttercream was just as successful as 2lb of crumble. 11/10!!
11 comment20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2012
This was a replacement for a very old similar product. It has a more powerful motor which should extend its life as I use it all the time for making bread. There was no mention of the larger capacity liquidiser in the 'package' that I bought. The machine is quieter than its predecessor and the controls smoother. The stainless steel bowl is a big improvement on the plastic one. The old mincer, an attachment that is essential although not used every week, fits this machine which meant that I didn't need to buy a new one. I have a food processor which is much used but for large cake mixes, whipping a lot of egg whites, blending soups and similar tasks this machine is far superior.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow. I'm loving this!

I had a Chef A701 for many years, then gave it to my daughter and treated myself to a new KM010. Lovely machine. The Major is even better, so my daughter's getting the KM010. The Major doesn't take much more space, being taller rather than longer/wider, but copes with considerably greater quantities.

In typical domestic situations, the Major might be overkill compared with a standard Chef, but it comes into its own if you have the extra space and want to bake large batches, perhaps to freeze some for later. That's what I do.

Instead of making one loaf I make two or even three (it will cope with 1.5kgs flour). Sometimes I slice and freeze one or two of them to toast or use for sandwiches. Other times, I take one out of the oven 5 minutes before it's ready and freeze it whole, then it can be finished off later. That works particularly well with flat breads like ciabatta and fougasse, also with rolls. In fact, maybe it's just me, but my ciabatta has a better crust for that treatment than when first out of the oven.

Of course, you can do the same (batch-bake) with cakes and many other things.

I was pleased to see the Flexi beater for creaming. The splashguard works well, as does the blender. It's great to have a glass goblet for the blender - heavier and more fragile than plastic, of course, but doesn't scratch or discolour and there's no risk of tainting food. I like being able to remove the goblet from the base, for cleaning, even if it does make it more fiddly to use than an all-in-one plastic version.

Negatives? None to speak of. It's noisy, as you'd probably expect, but doesn't seem noisier than my KM010 and is certainly quieter than the A701, with a less harsh sound too.

This is a terrific machine and makes me want to bake for the pleasure of using it. If you're thinking of starting a cake-making business, this could well be the machine for you. I guess, if you can afford the Major Titanium for the extra power and accessories, it may be worth shelling out, but this one will more than meet most home-bakers' needs.
22 comments28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So I was pretty excited when the courier delivered this baby on Saturday morning. I could not wait to get it out of the box and start using it ASAP. It arrived in perfect condition and was easy to use without need for the instructions - it was straightforward common sense. This model has a 6.7 litre bowl and I was a little worried that that might mean that the unit was bulky but actually it's pretty neat as the bowl is tall rather than wide. It also comes fitted with a splashguard which can be removed, and boy do I welcome that as there is nothing worse than cake mixture etc flying up out of the bowl. There is a dough hook, the standard K beater and a balloon whisk, and also a plastic spatula included - and a 180 page recipe book and a DVD! I used the dough hook as I was dying to see how much bread dough it would hold. I used 1.5kg of bread flour which is less than the upper limit but that was three times what I could usually make at one time so this was a great time saver for me. It also did a really good job of mixing the dough so I was very impressed. After removing the dough to prove I dropped it back in the Kenwood for a quick knocking back and then shaped it and left it for the final rise. I made two loaves and 12 bread rolls from the one quantity of dough - normally I would have to make these separately so you can see how much time it has saved. Then I assembled the blender again without needing the instructions, very straightforward. The glass jug is heat resistant and quite heavy thick glass. The blade and bottom of the blender can be removed for cleaning and that's just brilliant. My old blender is a Kenwood also but it's plastic and it's difficult to clean. It also has a 400 watt motor and this Kenwood Chef has a 1200 watt motor so there is quite a difference. So far I have only used it to make smoothies but I'm looking forward to using it to make soup to see how it does. One thing I don't understand is why the blades in the blender are not sharp - is this part of the design or is it a fault? Meanwhile, while I find this out, this will also solve some problems with what to get me for Christmas as there are lots of attachments available for this model. :) 5/5 of course!
44 comments36 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There is a reason why this is a classic, the 1200 watt motor which handles bread dough with ease, the slow power take off at the front for the attachments, and the high speed take off at the back.

Everything about this machine screams quality and capability.

There is a reason why this is THE kitchen classic.

Nothing else comes close.
on 1 September 2014
A wonderful mixer, I am so glad I bought it. The mixer copes with a huge mix with little effort; the grinder attachment is great for grinding coffee beans; the ice-cream maker is a novelty but takes a while to work. The blender that came with the mixer is brilliant and can whizz up a milkshake in seconds. It is a little bulky on the work surface but it is a little large to put away in the cupboard, however it doesn't look too bad. The guard on top of the bowl prevents the flour etc from shooting out everywhere when you switch it on - this is another useful feature. I bought the grinder and ice-cream attachments separately (they are not included in this purchase). Overall, I am pleased with the purchase and would recommend it.
on 14 August 2013
I had been looking for a mixer for a long time and finally decided on the Kenwood since it rated highly, was considered reliable and had many attachment options. I found the KMM770 on special at Amazon and I am not dissappointed. I love it! I have purchased the mincer attachment and it is great too.
on 8 September 2014
Have used this for a year and it'd a great size - does a 12 egg sponge mixture. Also, son fractured his jaw so I because the soup queen and the blender attachment was a godsend. great value for money hope to have it for many years to come
on 26 December 2014
By far the best of all the stand mixers. Don't bother with the Kitchenaid - its a vanity machine which can't do half the job of this beast.
A proper workhorse