I've recently purchased this stand mixer which is the current cheapest model in this classic brand. Not the newest or the most glamorous kitchen appliance, but instead a simple yet effective design that has stood the test of time.
This package contains the three basic attachments, the famous 'K' beater (in a non-stick finish) for creaming, rubbing fat into flour, mixing (and I use it for mashing potatoes), balloon whisk for whipping eggs and beating egg whites, and dough hook for making bread. In addition, there is an acrylic liquidiser in the box which connects to the high power connection on the top. This works fine, although I will probably stick with my hand blender most of the time as it creates far less washing up. The stainless steel bowl (which is quite large - a 4oz cake mix will look a bit lost in it!) is easy to clean, as are the 3 basic accessories. A splash guard made of plastic is also included. I found cleaning the liquidiser a bit more of a fuss, but no more so than a food processor. Whilst it is true that you can't put the attachments in the dishwasher, it only takes a moment to wash them by hand.
The Chef is quite noisy in operation - I was quite surprised the first time I switched it on, but it does a very good job of what it does, (better than a do it all food processor) and it is easier to use than a hand mixer, particularly with larger quantities of ingredients. Its motor seems to work well, and even at lower speeds, the chef moves quite quickly. Processes such as making pastry do take rather longer than food processor, but not ages. There is also a pulse setting if you need a bit more control. To give you some ideas about what your chef can do, there is a comprehensive recipe book included, although for some of the recipes you need additional accessories. In reply to an earlier reviewer, the first few times I used my Chef I found that it wasn't mixing properly, but after some slight adjustments to the height of the 'K' beater and balloon whisk, it works beautifully. A pair of pliers or a spanner was needed - it tells you what to do in the instruction book. Quite why they can't send the machines out from the factory properly calibrated is a bit beyond me.
This is a versatile machine - you can get lots of accessories to add on, but they are quite pricey, but out of the box, as a classic stand mixer, this is a very good buy at the current price on Amazon.
55 comments|898 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2008
I thought I ought to point out - though it's mentioned by others - that proper adjustment is CRITICAL to getting good results. With mine both the dough hook and the K beater had to be wound down 2-3mm - it's all clear in the instructions but you basically loosen the lock-nut, wind the tool down, then tighten up again. Try to get it as close as possible to the bowl without it actually touching (run it empty to check).

Once that's done you find a great improvement - and yes I'd second the comment that they should send them out of the factory properly adjusted!
11 comment|331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 February 2009
I bought this hoping to get my teenage daughter into baking...it worked like a treat. She makes light fluffy cakes and cupcakes and the icing or topping she does are to die for. When we have a bake sale for a fund raiser she goes nuts with her little machine and they can't believe that a child has done them. She even made bread dough and pastry. My grand children love to put the things in when we are cooking and the safety guard allows them to do so, without hurting themselves.
All in all I wished I had bought one of these years ago...marvelous.
on 27 July 2009
I indulged in purchasing a Kenwood Chef to mark my 50th birthday prompted by my love of baking and fond memories of my mum's fantastic Kenwood Chefette, a long lasting, well made and very useful device for this single working lady to have.
I had read the reviews noting the comments of those who said the device was poorly calibrated but that this could be resolved; they were right, at least as far as the K beater is concerned. Properly calibrated, which my K beater wasn't, it is a fantastic component that makes lovely light cakes. At this point I also have to say that the liquidiser attachment is a joy, it takes my memory right back to my mum's kitchen! It is a nifty, tough and very effective device.
Unfortunately there is an "however": the whisk is not so easily calibrated. I am sure it will deal adequaltely with egg whites, as long as enough egg whites are used, but it does not cope very well with batter, leaving loads of flour on the sides of the bowl even after being calibrated to take the mixture off the bottom. A broader design needed perhaps?
Still, all in all, I am quite satisfied and I am pleased to have this creator of lovely light sponges and wonderful sauces on my kitchen surface.
44 comments|352 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2007
I had a Kenwood Chef ten years ago and I have never looked back. It has been reliable, useful and makes light work of the most tedious kitchen tasks. It makes fabulous light cakes if you mix ingredients as you would by hand but using a very slow speed to fold in the flour. You can't put the beaters in the dishwasher but this is a very small disadvantage. You can buy extra items like graters and slicers and ice cream makers for it and the Kenwood service staff are very helpful if you have a question or want to buy an accessory. All in all a great machine!
11 comment|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2008
My mum bought her Kenwood mixer when I was 14. I inherited it when she died and I eventually ditched it last year - it was getting very noisy - but still worked very well. I am now 60 and I am about to buy a new one but I expect it will outlast me !
Well done Kenwood.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2013
It is a shame but it would appear that the Kenwood name is not as good as it used to be. The motor on our Kenwood classic packed up just over 15 months since purchase. They only come with a 12 month guarantee and it is too expensive to get repaired. Kenwood are relying on their name to sell items but unfortunately the products are not as good as they used to be. Do not buy unless they give you and extended guarantee!
on 15 February 2010
I recently moved to Europe and previously in the US used the Kitchaid Artisan Stand Mixer and loved it. I couldn't afford to replace it here with the 220V version and settled somewhat dubiously on the Kenwood. I primarily use this machine pretty much daily for kneading dough for bread and pasta and I have been very pleased with the performance. Initially, I thought the shape of the bowl was wrong because as I used a spatchula to push the flour into the center when it was going, it never really made the dough into a nice ball. I would have to take it out and shape it into a ball myself. But then I got a phone call right after adding the ingredients and just left it alone and it made a perfect ball of dough with no babysitting. A great purchase- I think it's better than the Kitchenaid for two reasons. There is a release switch that actually holds the head at the bottom of the bowl. On the Kitchenaid you are only relying on the extremely heavy weight of the head and when kneading stiff dough the head will pop up some and you have to hold it down. The second reason is the versatility. It comes with a liquidizer and you can't get a food processing attachment for the kitcheaid. I am thrilled with this machine.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2007
Bought an earlier model 0ver 30 years ago. Has just given up the ghost, so had to buy another straight away. Highly recommended.
on 19 June 2008
I have never owned a Kenwood Chef before and must admit I was a bit dubious after reading the reviews but I am delighted!! A LOT less washing up than my previous food processor and so easy to use. Only one beater which works really well (we did have to adjust it slightly but it wasn't complicated) and now making my husband lots of gluten free bread and cakes.
Incidently the delivery was soooooooooooo fast I couldn't believe it!!
11 comment|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse