Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 3 May 2014
It's many years since I read a Cookson novel but I had some idea of what to expect - brave and beautiful protagonist struggles against poverty and great odds to achieve eventual happiness. My grandmother was a Jarrow lass and contemporary with Catherine Cookson and the stories she told of her own childhood bear out Cookson's fictionalised accounts of grinding poverty, desperation and the ever-present fear of losing ones job and ones home with absolutely no safety net.
In 'Katie Mulholland', however, I felt the author was in competition with herself to see how many Awful Things she could make happen to one character! Rape, unwanted pregnancy, wife-beating, murder, miscarriage of justice, corruption, false imprisonment, eviction and homelessness, incest, unrequited love - this book has it all and more.
I kept reading because I was bemused by the piles of ordure being heaped on the wretched Katie and wondering how on earth she could emerge for a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, by the time I was two-thirds of the way through, I'd ceased to care and would have been happy enough to see Katie and the rest of the cast put aboard the Titanic and sent to the bottom of the ocean. Alas, the writer chose not to include that disaster in this saga of misfortune! By the time I got to the end of the book, I thoroughly disliked most of the characters - the words manipulative, scheming, complacent and smug all have an application here. I felt the ending was far from satisfactory although that, at least, reflects real life.
I've given it three stars because of the writer's skill in bringing to life a set of personalities and a way of living which is almost impossible for a modern audience to comprehend and for her evocation of Tyneside speech patterns which bring back many personal happy memories.
on 18 September 2011
I thought I had read all of Catherine Cooksons books, but this one had escaped me.
It's such a lovely story, a bit different to the usual Catherine Cookson books, but kept me turning the pages, i couldn't put it down.
on 17 August 2013
Loved this story, and was swept away with all that happened to Katie Mulholland. Bit disappointed when the book suddenly jumped about 30 years about three quarters through and I found it difficult to connect all the new characters to Katie. Nevertheless very good book.
on 8 May 2014
I read this book years ago but since I enjoyed it so much then I am going to relive that pleasure soon. You are into the story from the first page and that does it for me.
on 21 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - as I have every Cathrine Cookson book that I have read. Katie Mulholland is a story of a young girl and how life treats her.
Fantastic life story of Katie Mulholland, I have read this book about five times over the years and enjoyed it every time.
I do like Catherine Cookson stories she lived in those times and in her stories she describes the way people used to live and brings the character's to life. I recommend this story and all of them to anybody who love's period dramas..
on 20 March 2013
Another epic novel of Catherine Cookson. Captivating, believable and entertaining as always. Historical facts are intertwined in the story, which outline the hardship and suffering people had to endure in the mid to late 1800's in the North of England in order to survive.
on 24 July 2014
I loved this book .I read it many years ago .It spans a hundred years and 5 generations of the same family ,the heroine lasting all the way through it .Its gritty yet down to earth .A rags to riches story .Brilliant . Good long story.
on 26 October 2015
I read this book when it first came out over thirty years ago, and it was just as enjoyable now. Catherine Cookson was a wonderful writer and nobody has ever matched her, or, for me, ever will. Liz
on 31 October 2013
Brilliant Book, another winner from Catherine Cookson.
Couldnt find it in the bookshop, so well done Amazon for listing it.
Arrived well packaged, and really pleased with the purchase.