on 28 June 2009
An excellent book of Catherine Cookson's life from start to finish, some good photos of her early years right up until the time she died in 1998. This book is a must for any Catherine Cookson fan.
on 16 July 2013
Heart rendering honest to the point you feel that you are going through her lifes obsicles with her. I lived at tyne dock for a number of years and used the news agents at the bottom of my street which back then was the area kate visited the pawn shop and pubs for her mam. I walked on and off tyne dock metro station which was a train station all those years ago, and i walk past st peter and pauls that catherine attended what a small world, that we can still to this day walk in the young foot steps of the then catherine mcmullen.
on 2 March 2013
Having read earlier books by this author including "The Girl from Leam Lane" and being a fan of Catherine Cookson books this book was a must read. I had been previously fascinated with the way in which this author related Catherine's books to her own personal experiences and I anticipated perhaps more along these lines.
I wasn't disappointed.
I was quite surprised at some of the comments by other readers and I do have to disagree on several points.
The author obviously knows his subject very well and perhaps on a personal level. The dialogue is completely chronological as we travel through Catherine's life on a year on year basis and even grow with her through the various stages and episodes of her life. This book certainly explores and explains the background and reasons behind some of the more traumatic episodes in Catherine's novels.
Personally I loved this book. It is well written, sympathetic but in no way sentimental. It comes across very well that, although the author admires his subject, he is in no way swayed by her manipulative character - in fact he sees beyond her facade to the real person inside. Brilliant book. Brilliant author. I loved it!
on 2 August 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I used to read Catherine Cookson books all the time in my teens but never really knew much about her - this book answers everything. It has wonderful pictures and anecdotes from people who knew her. I recommend this to all her fans.
on 22 October 2012
I read it all but would not say I enjoyed it. Others may feel differntly. It was debunking some of the previous published biography facts.
on 14 February 2013
This man cannot write biographies! He may have collected lots of anecdotes and facts about Catherine Cookson but putting them together to form a readable and chronological account of her life was beyond him! I am sure that Catherine Cookson was not a very nice person but she did lead an interesting life and it would have been nice to read about it set out in a clear way with a proper date order of events/milestones as they happened. I am very disappointed that I wasted money on this book.
on 6 May 2014
I loved every thing about this book, to read this at the end of the return to Jarrow has put everything into place, and to realize the life Catherine Cookson had led, changed my thoughts on her. Never knowing about her life until I read these 4books, it has been compelling and has drawn me into her life as if I was living it with her.
on 3 February 2014
Let's you know about the life of Cathrine Cookson, but if you have read the other books like them it tended to tell you the same things over again. Yes I enjoyed it but some of it was a bit boring, still liked the fat that I found out about her life. A nit of a lady. Meaning she thought she was. Felt a bot sorry for her dear husband.
on 7 March 2014
This really gripped me and I couldn't put it down. I'm a big fan of Catherine Cookson and have all her books. This really gave an insight into her life and showed the turmoil that she went through. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in knowing more about the author and her life.
on 2 February 2016
I have read many biographies and this has got to have been the worst written one ever! It is not written in the usual biography format and a lot of it was not really relevant to Catherine Cookson.
I found it boring and would not recommend it unless you are having trouble sleeping.