on 18 August 2008
It is easy to see why critics have deemed Ridley as the new Dahl. The eccentric world that he creates is one filled with wonder, Banoffi pies and quiffs, yet `Kasper in the Glitter' is an effortless read that is convincing yet quirky.

The story is based around a young boy called Kasper who lives a lonely life with his mother, Pumpkin. The mother is a high-maintenance, prim dahhling that wanders the house/ex-beauty salon to ensure that everything `sparkles'. Kasper wears only yellow and the two of them eat only food that is yellow. Their other habits are equally baffling.

Their strange abode is located in the waste ground known as `The Nothing' and looks out onto the twinkling streetlamps of The City. A sequence of events happens one evening, which leads Kasper into believing that a boy of his age called `Heartthrob' has stolen Pumpkin's most precious of brooches. In order to make his mother's life `sparkle' once again, he goes out in search of Heartthrob and visits The City for the first time. But it isn't long before his original intentions for visiting this new and exciting place are overshadowed by far stranger encounters, including a meet with The Gloom's self-proclaimed King, who demands he prepare him a Banoffi Pie to make him say, `YUM!'.

It may be evident from the above that explaining a Philip Ridley book is surprisingly hard and does little justice in encapsulating and praising his madly marvellous plots. This particular book echoes messages to children, such as the importance of friendship, honesty and trust, but communicates this through a playful and warped world. The characters are accessible and predictable and the repetition in the text makes it an apt choice for both readers from Year 4 to Year 6. The influence from 1950s rock `n' roll subculture may also serve as a basis to discuss other topics outside of Literacy, including 20th century history and popular music.
on 3 September 2014
Had not realised that the hardback version did not have the sparkly cover that the paperback did...though apart from that it was nice. But as I was trying to give my adult daughter the experience of a book she really loved, I was a tad disappointed.
on 22 April 2010
I first read this book as a child (now aged 25) and loved it then as I do now! I cannot understand how anyone could not enjoy this story, true escapism at its best! I have now passed it down to my stepdaughter (age 10) who has also become a fan. This was the first of Philip Ridley's books I read, it made me search for his others (Dakota of the White Flats and Scribble boy also come well recommended!). Highly recommended reading for all ages!
on 21 April 2016
This audiobook is the same as I remember it when I borrowed it from a library as a child. But the 3rd cassette doesn't work, I have played side 3 and 4 all the way to the end, and the isn't any audio on it. Quite sad that I'll miss out on a few chapters of the story...
on 4 July 1999
In this book, Philip Ridley shows a good picture of the city using good sentences and describes the different parts of the city really well. Ridley is a good writer when it comes to use different name and the way the characters speak.
on 8 April 2012
Hi just want to say a big thanx!!! My daughter has enjoyed reading this book! She was following this story at her school so she's got a head start and now knows the story well ,,
on 24 March 2014
Best book I have ever read. Great imagination. It has really influenced me to read more of the series and would like to congratulate them for their book.
on 20 October 2000
Kasper Whiskey doesn't know city life, he lives far away with his mother Pumpkin, but when a boy he meets introduces him to it everything is changed. A great book about children who are homelessand how Kasper copes in The City. I enjoyed this book but not as much as I enjoyed Vinegar Street. A great book.
on 22 January 2015