I got 99th percentile on my GMAT 750(49, 42) and i used 3 books: this one, Kaplan's book with CD and Verbal Workbook. I had access to PR book and GMAT Prep, but I did only tests from those. I found Kaplan's materials of quality and difficulty. Some whine that Kaplan is too hard, but that's good - if you can handle Kaplan, you can handle the GMAT. Please see the section at the very bottom of the review - I have included a list of my favorite problems from this book - those are the most fun!
~~~ PROS: ~~~
- Condensed math concept review - straight to the point
- No smart-aleck advice about some stupid tricks - only math review - exactly what I needed
- Solid problems that illustrate a lot of traps and multiple ways of solving them
- Starts with the basics - arithmetic, integers, primes, etc - the stuff that anybody can uses a review of. A lot of applicants underestimate how much they forgot the basics and skim/skip them. I would not do that, and that book does not either.
- Finally, the number of questions and quizzes in this book is impressive. I am giving a short summary of some of the sections of the book and number of quizzes and test questions. Quiz questions are math only; Test questions are GMAT-type questions.
~~~ CONS: ~~~
- No probability or combinations review, which would be very helpful. Get something. I bombed my probability question on the GMAT.
- I went through this book at least 3 times (helping others) and I found that solutions don't include some of the most genius ways to handle the problems. I think the authors of the questions went beyond themselves.
- Errors (even though this is the 6th edition and it barely changed compared to the 1st and 2nd, there are a few typos and just careless errors - it's a shame)
- Not as thorough as the MGMAT guides (those cover more topics in-depth and perhpas a wider area). Also, if you are rusty with math (really rusty), you may want to get the Kaplan Math Foundations or Foundations of GMAT Math by Manhattan GMAT.
--- PREVIOUS EDITION ---
The changes in this edition are very minor and you can easily purchase the previous edition if the books are cheap enough (often for a fraction of the cost). The books are 99.9% the same with several problematic questions replaced (a few of the advanced questions)
-Number operations (15 quiz questions and 15 test questions)
-Number properties (15, 19)
-Averages (10, 19)
-Ratios (10, 24)
-Percents (25, 25)
-Powers and Roots (12, 17)
-Level One (20, 26)
-Level Two (15, 15)
-Level One (10, 26)
-Level Two (37)
-Lines (6, 14)
-Triangles (16, 21)
-Quadrilaterals (15, 19)
-Circles (19, 13)
-Multiple Figures (4, 15)
-Solids (6, 8)
-Test 1 (25)
-Test 2 (25)
~~~ HARD & INTERESTING QUESTIONS ~~~
Also, here is the list of the Most Interesting GMAT questions from this book (some are hard and others require an unusual approach) - make sure you can answer every one of them and know how to solve them by heart:
Number properties test: 8, 13, 14, 17, 19
Averages test: 4, 6
Percents: 4, 7, 8, 22
Powers and Roots: 5, 12
Algebra test 2: 2, 6
Basic Word Problem Exercise (p. 131): 6, 8, 9
Word Problems Test 1: 4, 19, 24
Percents, Ratios, and Rates: 34
General WP Test: 31, 35, 40
Triangles Exercise: 7, 11
Triangles Test: 2, 15, 18
Quadraliterals and other polygons: 14, 16, 17
Circles: 2, 5, 10
Multiple Figures: 2, 6, 9, 14
DS1: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24
DS2: 3, 7, 9, 10, 15, 21, 23, 24
~~~ WHY ONLY 4 STARS? ~~~
1. No significant updates over the years. This book has remained virtually unchanged since the second edition (for the last 8 years). You are welcome to purchase any of the previous editions to have the same effect.
2. It is a good/great book but there are now other great books out there (MGMAT Guides, Veritas Prep Guides) that give this book a run for its money
Finally, please make sure you have a copy of the Official Guide for the GMAT (OG) - if you have not discovered it, I highly recommend you get yoruself a copy as it is published by GMAC and contains 900 official GMAT Questions.
~~~ ERRORS ~~~
So far, I have not discovered any errors. I am sure some will surface as I have not seen a book yet without any. When I find any, I will list them on this page. A number of the previous edition errors and issues with questions having unclear setup have been resolved.
Let me know if you have any questions - I reply to comments!
Good Luck on the GMAT
BB, GMAT 750 (q49, v42)