- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Stackpole Books,U.S. (30 Jun. 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0811734811
- ISBN-13: 978-0811734813
- Product Dimensions: 1.3 x 15.2 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 320,043 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Kampfgruppe Peiper at the Battle of the Bulge: The German Race for the Meuse (Stackpole Military History) Paperback – 30 Jun 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
On December 16, 1944, Hitler's last great offensive of World War II commenced, pushing through the Ardennes in an attempt to reach the Meuse River and, beyond it, the Allies' supply ports. Equipped with Tiger tanks, Kampfgruppe Peiper, a Waffen SS unit and Germany's most powerful battle group, spearheaded the offensive but failed to reach the Meuse. Using a wide variety of sources, the authors tell the story of Kampfgruppe Peiper in unprecedented detail, from the first day of the invasion through the group's retreat on Christmas Day.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Even if you know more than the average person then this will still improve your understanding from the German perspective of that famous battle.
Not essential reading and most of the information is available in other publications,but the pictures and illustrations alone make it a good buy for the relatively low cost.
That's not to say that this isn't a good book - if you are new to the story of Kampfgruppe Peiper it is a very good introduction but if you've read The Devils Adjutant by Michael Reynolds then you've pretty much read this one. That said, this is a much easier read than Reynolds and doesn't have any of his tiresome pooh-poohing of eyewitness accounts and you don't need a large scale map to follow the action.
As with all the Stackpole books I've seen, the large area maps are atrocious but the detailed outline maps are very good but should have a page each instead of cramming them in with the text.
I particularly liked the battlefield tour guide at the back which, to a man who wasted an hour repeatedly driving past a dog rescue centre near Schoppen trying to follow Cavanaghs Tour of the Bulge Battlefield, seemed far, far simpler (the air in my car is still blue from all the swearing)
If you like this and think you might like to buy "Kampfgruppe Peiper - The Race to the Meuse" by the same authors I would suggest you save your money as it's the same book. Grrr!
Well worth the cost and am looking forward to reading through it, quick delivery, worth every penny, thank you Amazon
Most Recent Customer Reviews
really good book would reccomend to anyone interested in ww2 first hand accounts and stategies explained in an easy to understand format assisted with detailed mapsPublished 10 months ago by john sheil
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns > Battle of the Bulge
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins