Price:£24.54+ £2.95 shipping

on 28 March 2014
When this design first appeared, with the "self-springing" "w" shaped legs, I bought one like a shot, because: how more minimal (? you know what I mean...) could a camp bed get? Hence, how more light-weight? None, I figured. And also, I like design classics..

However... That one, and all that I'd seen since, are plain too narrow. (For me: 48" chest, 5'11") You spend all night pressed against the cold steel rails left and right: uncomfortable, losing heat, and aware that turning over is a real mechanical challenge. That previous one also had only 3 legs, and a flimsy cotton "base", so every time I got in or out, it would flip, and threaten to tear and land me on the floor. The painted, roughly welded steel is also a bit shabby.

I just got this Kampa Slumber plus, and spent an hour this evening "testing" it. At 77 cm wide, lying on my back, my elbows do just touch the rails, but they're just resting lightly, not an issue.. On my side, no contact at all, I feel like I'm in a double bed... (Particularly in a Gelert XL sleep pod..). The base is a good solid nylon, and, supported by 4 legs, is very stable, and supportive: no worries climbing in or out. Long enough for me, and probably for another 2 inches, maybe even 3.. The build quality seems the best: ovoid steel rails, slotting together around aluminium billets, and the legs lock the rails together..

Obviously, it's not as light/small to carry as an air bed, but, it won't get a leak and be junk, and is marginally easier to set up. Also, so far, it seems not to have the "sweaty surface" effect of an air bed...

After some use.. I realise that it has a "hammock effect": it dips more where the weight is, and that is enough to cause lower back stiffness. SO, I downgraded it to 3 stars..
on 8 August 2013
However it is not light and setting it up does require a bit of brute strength. Also there are no instructions but you don't need to be Einstein to figure it out.

Just in case here goes a brief explanation.
a) assemble the rods. easy peasy. Just make sure that the holes line up.
b) insert the assembled rods into the seams along the sides of the canvas material
c) the tough bit is pulling the canvas over the end of the fully inserted assembled rod. I find a strong thin object can give you the necessary leverage. (fork handle for example)
d) turn it upside down and then put the 'legs' into the holes in the rods that should be visible (with a bit of jiggling around) in the gaps in the canvas material.

My experience so far has been 3 nights on a building site as night guard. Miles better than the self inflating mattress or even 2 of them (one on top of the other for added comfort). The length is good for me (my height is 5'9") and the width is also good considering I am quite broad. Weight wise I am just under its limit and don't feel vulnerable nor do I hit the floor.

All in all very happy with the Slumber Plus Camp Bed and would even bring it out for guests if we had run out of rooms.
on 29 August 2011
I bought this item after doing a lot of research into different brands, how easy to assemble, size, weight etc. I bought this as it was an extra little bit wider than standard cheaper camp bed as i have wide hips.
I have never slept on a campbed before so wanted to make the right choice....I was worried i wouldnt be able to put it up on my own but I managed it fine.
It was a bit of a squeeze into my small 2 man tent but it went in eventually.
I wouldnt like to think i had to carry it any distance with my tents and all my other gear as is a bit on the weighty side. Fab little carry bag though- east o get back into the bag too (unlike my tent!)
I found that i was warmer in the tent at night as i wasnt sleeping on a cold floor on a deflating crappy airbed!
Overal review:
I HAVE NEVER SLELP SO WELL IN A TENT! (in a thunderstorm aswell!)
on 17 May 2013
I get to camp at allot as a scout leader and my air bed gave me back ache after 2 nights and I've never had a good nights sleep - until this came along. Yes the legs are hard to fit - yes the first one I had nowhere to fit one of the legs (hole had been drilled on the wrong side) but this was very very comfortable.
on 16 February 2011
This is a really good product- it arrived promptly after ordering.

One comment is that it's Max Weight Load is 100kg, which it doesn't specify in the product review.
on 19 February 2013
Really pleased with this - easy to assemble as well as being nice and wide too. It comes in a handy carry bag and Im now ready to go camping!

This was the second product of this type that I had bought through Amazon and wish I had found this one first! I previously ignored the Amazon feedback for the Yellowstone 4 leg camp bed (which was much the same price as this one too) and had to send it back as soon as I had received it, as it was faulty (the legs would not fit in the holes to make it stand up/work) and it was also very mean on the width.
on 17 June 2011
Needed a cheap campbed quickly. I put it together, with a bit of elbow grease, under two minutes and tried it out, I am no light weight. It was comfortable. Very handy carry bag to put it in but a little heavy.
on 5 June 2014
Just got back from a 3-night music festival - and slept soundly each night. It took me 4 minutes to set up from closed bag to ready to lie on. I have no sympathy with those people who moan about how difficult it is...because it can't be simpler to assemble. Get the wider version because it is more comfortable and stronger. Excellent value for money and packs up into an easy tight bundle. Best bit of camping kit I have bought for years, and it will last for years. I have zero complaints about it.
on 23 June 2015
Arrived today easy to assemble and looks very sturdy and hard wearing. Have yet to try this over several nights but it feels comfortable and wide enough to turn over without crushing your shoulders. Long enough for tall people.
on 8 September 2013
Plus: well-constructed, DID come with instructions.
Minus: first couple of nights alright, progressively worsened during the 2 weeks we camped. I'm marginally over the 100kg limit stated but don't think this should have made a difference.
Will try it again, in combination with a foam or air mattress.