on 12 June 2011
I note that other reviewers have complained about lack of detail.I would point out that the author had access to the Sennett archive at the Academy and has made very good use of it.There is a lot of interesting information running from the liquor bills through to the loss that Seneett was sustaining on producing shorts in the 30s.Allowances do have to be made for the fact that Sennett died over 40 years prior to this book being written and that most of the events written about are more than 80 years ago.This being the caase there are unlikely to be eye witnesses to interview.So there are going to be gaps in the information but not so as to detract from an informative and entertaining book.
on 31 October 2006
Having read the Fatty Arbuckle biog 'I Fatty', I was keen to read about the man, and ego behind Keystone, that of Mack Sennett; and so fell towards this publication.

The book has great detail of everything you may need for an accademic dissertation at al, and like the man Sennett, it has great passion for the subject, but thoroughly lacks any sense of warmth or humour. We get an idea of the man and his character, but time upon time, I wished I were reading Sennett's own biography (even with its supposed exagerated storytelling as hinted at by Louvish).

Not to knock the biog, for it is thorough an relentless in its detail, but as I said at the start, having come off I FATTY, where you feel like you are sat at a bar hearing the man tell you what's what, this biog felt too up tight and pedantic for me.
on 19 October 2014
Very Good. Thank you
on 26 May 2008
As a Mabel Normand fan I had to read this book but was not sure how much was fact and how much author opinion. A good read but as per most silent movies biographies I feel they have again missed the essence of what made this person so successful. Mack Sennett was the undisputed King of Comedy but this book did not give that impression. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it as like all these silent movie biographies they tell a brilliant tale but I didn't feel a very revealing one.