Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jan 2011 16:14:44 GMT
Alison Slade says:
Ok, so I've never seen Les Mis before and I don't know the storyline either, so does this DVD include the acting parts in between the songs, and if not, are the parts inbetween the songs long enough/important enough for you to be able to understand the plot without them?

Posted on 6 Jan 2011 13:42:10 GMT
R. Garside says:
Les Mis is what's known as a 'sung-through' musical. This is like an opera, where there are no spoken lines between songs but every line is sung, some parts in a more 'talk-singing' style rather than a full blown melodic line. This DVD does have cuts from the original show, but they are mostly verses from the original songs which do not affect the understanding of the plot. This particular concert contains all the parts of the musical that affect the understanding of the plot, though I can't remember if they let you know when the date/place is changing as they do in the actual show.

A few people who have seen Les Mis for the first time in the theatre have struggled following the plot, so if you do find it hard there are usually plot summaries accesible online.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2011 12:00:16 GMT
Alison Slade says:
Okay, thanks a lot :)

Posted on 8 Jan 2011 07:49:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2011 00:01:06 GMT
mw415 says:
I beg to differ but significant scenes have been cut from the stage musical for the 25th anniversary concert. The character of Little Eponine does not even appear in the scene where Valjean rescues Cosette from the Thernandiers, so the dynamic of the relationships is never established. We first see Eponine as an adult when she encounters Valjean & adult Cosette in Paris - it is totally unclear who she is and her relationship to the reinvented Thernandiers. There are numerous other omissions, the most grievous of which is the elimination of Valjean's rescue of the injured Marius and the encounter with Thernandier in the sewer. In this missing scene, Thernandier steals Marius' ring, which is the crux of the resolution of the whole story. At the wedding scene Marius recognizes his ring and outs the again reinvented Thernandiers as thieves and realized that it was Valjean who saved his life after being injured at the barricades. Anyone who has not seen the stage show will be totally confused by all of this. Interestingly, I went to see the screening of the concert in a cinema with a friend of mine who has a PhD in music. He had great difficulty following the plot and did not know what the hell was going on at the end. I have seen the show on stage about a dozen times (various productions) & I even got confused a few times not remembering some of the details. Anyway, I found the 25th anniversary version the least enjoyable of all the versions I've seen. BUT, I agree with everyone who commented that the post concert extras - the appearance of the original 1985 London company (unfortunately minus Patti LuPone, who was otherwise working in a show on Broadway in October) was spectacular. And the rendition of "Bring Him Home" by the 4 Valjeans was incredible.

Les Miserables is, by the way, my favorite musical of all time and I have been going to see musicals since 1960 (mostly in NYC).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  5 Jan 2011
Latest post:  8 Jan 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Matt Lucas (Blu-ray - 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (727)