Peter van der Linden's Just Java 2
is an excellent introduction to the Java platform, especially for those with some existing programming skills. This new edition is based on the JDK (Java Development Kit) 1.4 release, and packs in a comprehensive guide to the language and the core class libraries. The author is a former Sun employee and knows his subject backwards. He also injects some humour and personality into his writing, and includes regular "light relief" sections covering wacky topics such as the Java toaster that burns a weather forecast onto every slice. Readers soon know that he loves Java, likes the Apple Macintosh and hates Microsoft, but fortunately nothing gets in the way of the clear and insightful teaching. In general this is a particularly clear and readable programming guide.
The book begins with a brief overview, going on to explain object-oriented programming and the basics of the language. There is a full explanation of packages and how the JVM finds classes, often a tricky area for Java beginners. The author offers detailed coverage of fundamental topics such as threads, input/output, networking and Java Beans, making this a book that will be used for reference as well as for learning. On other topics, such as XML programming, Servlets or database access with JDBC, the book is more introductory. Several chapters cover graphical client applications, event handling and the use of JFC and Swing, laying a firm foundation for building a Java visual interface. There are lots of code examples, both in print and on the accompanying CD.
Overall, this is a solid, professional and authoritative tutorial which has more depth than many lighter-weight alternatives.--Tim Anderson
From the Back Cover
- Java programming language and basic packages
- Server-side libraries and enterprise development
- Networking, Beans, and collections
- GUI components and more
Covers Java 2 platform (JDK 1.4 release) and enterprise/server-side development.
An international bestseller for over 5 years, Just Java 2 is the most comprehensive and accessible tutorial for programmers at all levels. Completely updated and revised, the 5th edition is not only a readable and engaging overview of the Java 2 platform (JDK 1.4 release) and its libraries, it is also a practical introduction to today's best enterprise and server-side programming techniques.
Writing for real programmers, author Peter van der Linden delivers expert advice, clear explanations and challenging examples, along with his popular "light relief" sidebars and wry commentary on the computer industry.
Just Java 2 covers:
- The core language: advantages, syntax, object-oriented features, and key techniques-including interfaces, threads, assert statements, and much more
- Key Java libraries: Input/output, from the basics to cutting-edge pattern matching, file locking, and mapped I/O techniques-plus a full chapter data structures and collections
- Server-side Java technology: Powerful techniques for building Web-based transaction systems and Web services: servlets, Java Server Pages(tm), RMI, object serialization, and more
- Client-side Java technology: Up-to-the-minute coverage of JFC(tm)/Swing GUI development, applet techniques, games code, containers, layouts, and graphics programming
- Enterprise Java technology: J2EE(tm) platform-capabilities, benefits, and techniques! Including a database introduction, JDBC(tm) API tutorial, basics of EJB(tm) architecture, Java platform security, and a brand-new chapter on XML
- Browse the CD with your Web browser to run the applets and to get easy access to the contents
- Tons of great software, including Perl, GNU C/C++, Python, games, and more
- Extensive code examples from top programmers around the world
- The complete programmer's FAQ