Peter van der Linden's Just Java 2
is an excellent introduction to the Java platform, especially for those with some existing programming skills. This new edition is based on the JDK (Java Development Kit) 1.4 release, and packs in a comprehensive guide to the language and the core class libraries. The author is a former Sun employee and knows his subject backwards. He also injects some humour and personality into his writing, and includes regular "light relief" sections covering wacky topics such as the Java toaster that burns a weather forecast onto every slice. Readers soon know that he loves Java, likes the Apple Macintosh and hates Microsoft, but fortunately nothing gets in the way of the clear and insightful teaching. In general this is a particularly clear and readable programming guide.
The book begins with a brief overview, going on to explain object-oriented programming and the basics of the language. There is a full explanation of packages and how the JVM finds classes, often a tricky area for Java beginners. The author offers detailed coverage of fundamental topics such as threads, input/output, networking and Java Beans, making this a book that will be used for reference as well as for learning. On other topics, such as XML programming, Servlets or database access with JDBC, the book is more introductory. Several chapters cover graphical client applications, event handling and the use of JFC and Swing, laying a firm foundation for building a Java visual interface. There are lots of code examples, both in print and on the accompanying CD.
Overall, this is a solid, professional and authoritative tutorial which has more depth than many lighter-weight alternatives.--Tim Anderson
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
The #1 introduction to J2SE 1.5 and enterprise/server-side development!
An international bestseller for eight years, Just Java™ 2 is the complete, accessible Java tutorial for working programmers at all levels. Fully updated and revised, this sixth edition is more than an engaging overview of Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE 1.5) and its libraries: it’s also a practical introduction to today’s best enterprise and server-side programming techniques. Just Java™ 2, Sixth Edition, reflects both J2SE 1.5 and the latest Tomcat and servlet specifications. Extensive new coverage includes:
- New chapters on generics and enumerated types
- New coverage of Web services, with practical examples using Google and Amazon Web services
- Simplified interactive I/O with printf()
- Autoboxing and unboxing of primitive types
- Static imports, foreach loop construct, and other new language features
Peter van der Linden delivers expert advice, clear explanations, and crisp sample programs throughout—including dozens new to this edition. Along the way, he introduces:
Companion Web Site
- The core language: syntax, objects, interfaces, nested classes, compiler secrets, and much more
- Key libraries: date and calendar, pattern matching, network software, mapped I/O, utilities and generic collections
- Server-side technology: network server systems, a complete tiny HTML Web server, and XML in Java
- Enterprise J2EE: Sql and JDBC™ tutorial, servlets and JSP and much more
- Client-side Java: fundamentals of JFC/Swing GUI development, new class data sharing details
All the book’s examples and sample programs are available at http://afu.com.