Customer Discussions > Shine forum

Joni Mitchell 'Shine'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Sep 2007 10:23:26 BDT
J. Brigley says:
So many critics just don't 'get' Joni Mitchell. They are too steeped in 'the starmaker machinery behind the popular song'. Recent reviews of this C.D. bend a knee to Mitchell's unique position amongst female song-writers but the response is luke-warm with absurd comments such as 'too much brass' or 'under-produced' or a lecture from an aunt. Much of these comments are either age-ist or plainly inaccurate. I have yet to read a review which recognises that Mitchell is a perfectionist and a conscious artist. i loved the C.D. which grew in delight as I listened to it - often the mark of subtle writing. one critic even criticised a line from one of her lyrics in which she uses colloquial ellipsis without realising Mitchell's strong sense of irony and humour. Joni has been misunderstood before but it would be nice to see her reviewed by someone who could appreciate her wit, subtle touches and ability to make us think and feel. some critic commented that this C.D. is not going to change the world - what CD could? What a misunderstanding about what art can do ? her music has always reflected her generation and she has been clear in placing her fingers on the pulse of the time. Art changes things by degrees and shines a light on things which might remain unsaid. By saying things the world can be a better place and it is certainly a better place because of Joni mitchell's music. The snide remarks about Starbucks are so easy and unnecessary. It is so easy to be cynical but in doing so you can miss the jewels of life. Shine on.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2007 05:36:53 BDT
J. Bilby says:
Over here in the states, Joni's new collection
SHINE came out with a bang and Joni's best sales
since the late 70's. Great to hear Joni Mitchell
back recording and this new one "SHINE" stand
right up there with her best emotional songs,
a mature, haunting 1st cut to last gem of a record. Every time I play it or cuts off it, I
close my eyes and think back to what made joni
so special, the magic is still there, she's
just taken on world issues for most of her newer songs, as she's said she's way past the romantic searching
days, she just wants to write about whats pressing and important to her. I really appreciate how these songs are so personal and
intimate, great job joni.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa2686984)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Shine forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  27 Sep 2007
Latest post:  13 Oct 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Shine
Shine by Joni Mitchell (Audio CD)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (32)