Customer Discussions > Exit Music forum

John Rebus

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2007 11:34:09 BDT
can't believe that Ian Rankine approved John Hannah as DI Rebus for TV. He has however utterly redeeemed himself by replacing hin with Ken Stott. It was obvious to anyone who has read any Rebus book that John Hannah was definately not an inspired choice. But good sense has prevailed - Ken Stott was always my first choice to play DI Rebus and I have to say that I think Ken Stott IS John Rebus!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2007 23:51:14 BDT
Ian Paterson says:
When I first started reading the series I actually pictured Bill paterson

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2007 09:33:14 BDT
S W says:
I actually preferred John Hannah, Ken Stott just wasnt how I imagined Rebus and I hated what they did to the Falls

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2007 20:27:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Oct 2007 20:30:28 BDT
K. C. Walton says:
I once wrote to the 'Radio Times' to tell them that Ken Stott was actually John Rebus's pseudonym, and that he was moonlighting as an actor. I often wonder if someone noticed my letter, even though it was never published. This was long before Stott actually took over the role.

But I have found both TV series a complete disappointment. John Hannah was totally wrong for the part. Stott is Rebus, but the production team has failed to grasp the essence of the man and his surroundings. Where is his battered Saab? Where is the armchair by the window with the duvet he wraps round himself? Where's the smelly stairwell? Not part of the plot, you may think, but part of the character for me. And what happened to the Farmer and his lethal espresso coffee? And did the comedian that wrote the script for 'The Falls' think he could write better than Rankin when he totally destroyed the plot?

I doubt if anything will ever change on the TV series. What a shame - it had the potential to become another 'Morse'. Thank goodness for the books, including 'Exit Music', which leaves the door open for more delights.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2007 12:37:07 BDT
MMacConnell says:
When I read previous Rebus novels I always pictured Ken Stott as Rebus and was very disappointed when John Hannah was cast as DI Rebus - he was far too young for the part. I think the TV series is disappoiting as they have tried to cram a whole book into an hour and a half (less adverts) and it hasn't worked for me. This is a shame as the novels are first class. The character of Shiv is not in keeping with the book.

I wanted more of Rebus in the Oxford Bar drowning drink after drink, listening to his music and falling asleep in his chair by the window. His character has been lost in the TV series.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2008 15:21:44 GMT
i thouoghly agree that Ken Stott IS Rebus.John Hannah is way too young for the partand did not come across as believable.After having read Exit Music I can't help but wonder where we go from here!

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 04:13:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 04:17:54 BDT
PinkPearls says:
I've never read anything by Ian Rankin, but I have been watching Rebus starring John Hannah in that lead role on Netflix.

I find nothing wrong with Hannah's deportment in this role and judging from the comments here, the biggest problem is that Hannah's Rebus is not a carbon copy of the book's lead character.

Too bad someone didn't have the foresight to see that a popular book series had better run pretty close to the wind or fans would be disgruntled.

Far better to have named the series (with Hannah) something else, like "Garner" and say that the lead character was based on Rankin's character, Rebus, then this series would have flown on its own without all the dust up.

Hannah did a fine job; his only fault is that he wasn't a carbon copy of what's in the books and Rankin/Rebus fans heads.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2013 12:39:14 BDT
Oscar says:
What a stupid comment.
If you have never read the books how can you envisage a character.
I take it you can read.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Exit Music forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  3 Oct 2007
Latest post:  23 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Exit Music (Detective John Rebus Novels)
Exit Music (Detective John Rebus Novels) by Ian Rankin (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Dec 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (184)