Which is the best film Joan of Arc is one of those questions that film buffs reserve for a good long discussion. I found this one pretty good but not I think the best (for my sins I like the Messenger, so I'll apologise now). However, this manages to give us a pretty believable Middle Ages (everyone is covered in as much clothing as possible) although the American accents will seem out of place to British ears. The female lead manages to be both weak and powerful (as befits the Maid) and held her own in what is a most remarkable (and very sad) story against even Peter O'Toole in full flow.
on 5 May 2005
I first saw this original 2-part production of Joan Of Arc on the Hallmark channel. Around the same time I also saw the big budget movie "Joan Of Arc: The Messenger", and there is no dispute for me, THIS 2-part version is by far the better one!
Leelee Sobieski plays Joan very well indeed, and the supporting cast are also excellent. The fact an actor as distinguished as Peter O'Toole is involved certainly adds favour to this version. He's fabulous as the Bishop Cauchon.
This is a very enjoyable movie, and everything is developed in a way that allows you to get to know the characters, even if they sometimes appear a bit "fairytale" at times. The other movie in comparison, appeared to go for the gruesome violence factor instead and totally lost any humanity.
The DVD is a little disappointing as it has been edited and cut down in length from that of the televised version. There are no extras to speak of either. But in terms of viewing and enjoyment this is the best Joan Of Arc produced so far!
on 3 December 2006
This is not a bad film and can be recommended to anybody who does not know much about this story and would like to get a visual picture of it.

It is well filmed, and the director and the actors clearly respected their subject and tried to do their best.

However, the real story of Joan d'Arc is so astonishingly unique and so full of religious, spiritual, historic, local, personal, etc. messages, that it hardly can be explained without great diffulties.

The work of Peter O'Toole (bishop Cochon)is very impressive. Because of the story itself, and because of Peter O'Toole, the fill well can be recommended.
on 13 April 2009
This film is artistically beautiful, contains superb acting, and represents the life of Joan of Arc in an appropriately compelling and much more historically accurate manner than does the more or less contemporaneous Joan of Arc film entitled "The Messenger", (which is replete with misrepresentation). While this film does take some artistic license with a few historical facts, this is done respectfully, effectively, and in keeping with the spirit of truth represented. A truly wonderful and powerful film. I have watched it repeatedly and been moved by it each time.
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a great version of the classic story of joan of arc tge french saviour it is filmed beautifully it has a more realistic lily about it than other joan of arc films I have seen in the past.
The battle scenes were good the cathedral scene was exellant the acting was very good I would highly recommend this film.
on 14 June 2002
This is a great movie, opposite to the other versions that have twisted a little too much on the original stories.
I was feeling the chill down my back while watching, and had a tear in my eyes for about the whole movie.
Leelee Sobieski must be doing some of the best acting I have seen in a long time. Could almost been taken for an historical documentation from 1400. Would not missed it for the world.
0Comment22 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2011
This is a wonderful film although it is very sad. I was emotionally drawn into the film and really felt for Joan through her triumphs and trials. I cried at the end when she was burned.

I am a religious person and for me this film represents what an inspiration Joan was to us all. The message here is do not be ashamed to fight for what you believe in, which is something we could all learn to do.

There are some versions of Joan of Arc which are very violet and bloodthirsty and because of this there is no "heart" in the films and you cannot connect with them the same way as they focus mainly on the battles. This film is the opposite. You can connect with it easily and it has all it's "heart" intact.

I would highly reccomend this. Anyone who wants to find out about Joan of Arc, this is the best one to watch.
on 25 October 2013
Liked it better than the one With Milla Jovowich. Leelee Sobieski has got a lot of presence and charisma. A few very disturbing and horrible scenes, but they go with the story. The film fitted well for educational purpose.
on 2 March 2013
An cracking film, Leelee Sobleski and Peter O'Toole are superb, the film still stand up well today and is for the most part historicly accurate, it was the French that tried and excecuted Joan.
I don't know if there were two versions of this DVD the one I purchased has a cover like the one above but it was released in 1999/2000 by ODYSSEY it's a double sided DVD and the feature film runs for 180 minutes, I presume the subsiquent versions have been edited for some reason.
on 17 October 2013
Great film. Good quality DVD's. The film is slightly untrue in places but most Historical films are ? Fell in love with Joan :)