Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 September 2013
To be like Jesus is a tall order but not so impossible if Rob Bell could have been a little more outspoken about us all renouncing the attacks, the occupations, the aggressions, the sheer violence of our descendants and, now, ourselves - on other nations. The Church in exile is the church wrapped in the devil's arms of violence; it should be noted for its non-violence.

Jesus wants to save Christians to be more like Him in the way He renounced empire building in one temptation. Rob omits to remind his readers that the Christian West has been at the forefront of taking and, taking over, countries to be all their own - called colonialism. Now the religious, God fearing, Christian USA is the largest empire on earth. The Church in exile is the church in unholy empire of being on the take; of domination.

"Man shall not live by bread alone". Yet, the Church has done just that in grabbing what and who it can while the going was good. Not just land and fossil fuels but slaves to make us rich beyond what humanity has ever seen before. We are now turning, transforming, the stones of rare minerals and a host of other finite resources to live it up to bring today's comfort and riches. But bread for the poor and future generations is overlooked, ignored, forgotten. Including the stones of fossil fuels and all finite raw materials.

Is this not what Jesus also wants to save Christians from in order to be more like the Man God who rejected what we never, ever reject?

Rob - You have more to include in the next edition, please!

Tim Weller
on 23 August 2014
Strange content. The book was originally put out on a different published and I understood it to be Rob Bell's third work though in it's new publication it is identified as the third. This may be because it has been given an additional opening since it was originally published or I may be mistaken. Nevertheless section of the book appear to be missing. Several chapters appear to have final endnotes while the chapter they relate to ends before they would be needed. This gives the impression I am missing something and makes the book less enjoyable than it might be.
on 22 February 2014
I like Robs thesis, but in this book he jumps around too much. I kept losing the thread and direction of his argument. Some sentences just didn't make sense. I'll read it again as it says some vital stuff, just not very well here and there. Keep at us Rob, we DO need to get what you're saying.
on 30 November 2013
This amazing book brought me to tears - Jesus really loves us, and his love is practical not only spiritual and only in future context of eternity! Thank you Rob. New humanity awaits!
on 4 March 2016
I love the way Rob Bell thinks and writes.
on 19 June 2015
Happy with product and service
on 11 December 2014
Another good Rob Bell book.
on 3 May 2013
I would like to say to Rob Bell I wish I could meet you, God is here, you are so right, I cannot read your books fast enough, every word bounces off the page, I am glad happy you are being directed to do this, words are important to me I live for the interesting views put forward by you. How many ways are there to use words like you do.