Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Learn more

on 13 June 2002
As a hapless owner of a diminutive, north-facing, crazy-paved, patio garden, I rely on luck and terracotta pots to grow my herbs. Thus a special section on container-growing for each herb in this book is a god-send. The other good thing is the inclusion of more exotic sub-species eg. Thai Horapha and holy basils, which are indispensable to any enthusiastic oriental cook. All in all, this book is a treasure-trove of information and invaluable advice; it is well-written and filled with fantastic photographs and illustrations. It even contains some tempting recipes (but sadly none for Thai green curry - Ms McVicar may note the inclusion of my email address - hint, hint). I don't think I will ever need another book on herbs and I can't wait to get a bigger garden.
on 6 November 2001
This book is invaluable. I am an amateur gardener - the sort who notes the names of plants which look magnificent in someone else's garden, goes and buys the seeds/seedlings/potted up plant and then has not really got a clue what happens next. For years I have been trying to have a successful herb garden but nothing ever quite worked out. No instructions told me what was going to happen in year 2, year 3 and so on. What I should do the season AFTER I has planted/sown the herb. This fantastic book does just that and tells me what will grow where, the best way to propagate, whether the plant will work in a container, whether it needs to be brought in during the winter and then - oh joy - it gives lots of ideas of what the herb can be used for. It is a real must-have for any gardening shelf.
0Comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2013
Book arrived on time and in excellent condition. This book had gone out of publication and looking for a copy in excellent condition for a friend.
on 26 August 2013
Very helpful, tells you what herbs and the uses. This was recommended to me by my dad and it is so useful.
on 18 December 2014
So clearly written, well laid out, good photos, easy to understand, and recipes as well
on 15 July 2015
This was ordered for my sister, she was delighted with it
on 1 April 2008
i bought this book as a gift so i did not take a quick look at it until it was opened by the recipient when i did i was suprised how informative it was. I think i will now be ordering one for myself. very good book ideal for the beginer and so many ways you can use Herbs. very easy to understand well worth the money.
on 8 January 2015