Many of the stories of the making of Jaws
have been told over the years, but rarely have they been pulled together as exquisitely as they are in this terrific Blu-ray release. The centrepiece is a wonderful two-hour, exhaustive look at the process of bringing Jaws
together, with contributions from all the film's major players. On top of that, there's another substantive documentary that looks back at the impact of the film, and while it covers parts of the same ground, it's still very much worth watching. More archive releases should be treated to such in-depth, fascinating analysis.
There are further supplements on top, with a wealth of storyboards and production photography being of particular interest. That said, the outtakes and deleted scenes are hardly shabby, either, and there's a real treat from the archives, too, with a short making-of made at the time of the film's shoot. It's a wonderfully comprehensive package that you get here, offering breadth and depth to the extra features.
All that is, of course, before you get to the film proper. Jaws needs little introduction, but Steven Spielberg's classic has never looked better than it does here. Diligently cleaned up for its 1080p transfer, the film looks and sounds tremendous. And while the shark may look a little faker as a consequence of that, it's nonetheless a premium class Blu-ray of a premium class film. --Jon Foster
Directed by Academy Award winner Steven Spielberg, Jaws
set the standard for edge-of-your seat suspense, quickly becoming a cultural phenomenon and forever changing the way audiences experience movies. When the seaside community of Amity finds itself under attack by a dangerous great white shark, the town's chief of police (Roy Scheider), a young marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a grizzled shark hunter (Robert Shaw) embark on a desperate quest to destroy the beast before it strikes again. Featuring an unforgettable score that evokes pure terror, Jaws remains one of the most influential and gripping adventures in motion picture history.
• The Shark is Still Working (Blu-ray exclusive): An all-new feature-length documentary on the legacy of the film and its influence on popular culture.
• The Making of Jaws: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
• From the Set: An insider's look at life on the set of JAWS, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.
• Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
• Jaws Archives: Take a peek inside the Jaws archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the Jaws phenomenon.
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• UltraViolet: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones.
• Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronic and portable devices.