on 10 January 2013
Since getting a tablet, I had been looking at getting a wireless speaker for it and my phone for a while. I looked at lots and lots of reviews for different speakers. I looked at the Bose Soundlink but it was way too expensive and £200+. The logitech Mini boombox and the UE Mini were firm favourites but I wanted something that produced a decent amount of base. I saw the Jambox and loved it but thought £160 was still quite a lot. Fortunately, it was reduced to £99 after Xmas 2012.

Connection:

Connects easily to both my Asus tablet and HTC phone, I have not tried iphone yet. The first time it took a little while to find the Jambox and took a couple of refreshes on my phone to find it. Once paired, it connects automatically when you turn your bluetooth on to reconnect. Sometimes the connection skips and experienced once the music stopping for no reason but this could be down to Spotify being unreliable.

Sound:

I first got it and played some music. The volume goes loud enough for a room in your house before going on a night out or sitting outside for some easy listening but it wont't be loud enough for a party. The sound quality was good but did still sound like it's coming out of small speakers (only slightly flat). Then I updated the software on Jawbone online portal. The new software feature Live Audio is amazing. You are able to turn it off for more volume and less quality....you will never turn this off because it makes music sound brilliant. It introduces so much depth to the music and makes it astonishing that such good quality music can come out of something so small. (Small enough to chuck in a jacket pocket or small handbag. I use it for taking outside to train and around the house for multi room music. Who needs a Sonos system?)

Battery life is brilliant. seems to go for ages and ages even with Live Audio which I guess would drain more life from the battery.

Accessories:

The extras you get in the box adds that extra level of quality, a case that slips over it to add protection when not using it, a flat aux in cable and charger.

I would recommend going to your local Currys or PC world to try it before spending £160 on it to see if you like it but it's definitely a steal at £99.
on 31 October 2013
Positives
- Good quality sound
- Good connection, never had a drop
- Button to use voice control (eg Siri)
- Looks great
- Small and portable
- Decent battery
- Nice battery indicator on iOS
- Updateable through Jawbone webstie
- Includes nice carrying case

Negatives
- Not very loud
- Lack of bass
- Expensive
- No skip buttons
- Built in microphone not good at picking up speech

This is a very nice looking piece of gear, that is very portable. Included in the very nice packaged box, is a carrying case, micro USB wire, 3.5mm male to male cable and the Jambox itself.

The carrying case is a very nice touch. the Jambox slips inside with two flaps that are magnetically held to the top. It is a great thing to be included, as it means putting it in a bag you won't be worried about dust and the likes getting inside grills.

The sound of the device is good, with some nice ranges. Listening to anything without much bass and in a quiet environment is an enjoyable experience. However, if any of those two are a requirement, then avoid this speaker. It just simply isn't loud enough. For the money paid, you would expect it to be able at least compete with ambient noise (such as university halls). The bass issues mean listening to certain songs lacks the punch that should be there. I just cannot recommend this speaker for this price with these two main issues. I use it and like it, but it is not worth the money.

The buttons on top are nice, with the main circle button being customisable on using the Jawbone website. You can also change the voices that greet you and sounds made through this website. The Jambox can also be updated, which is a nice touch.
The battery life is good, I can get about 8 hours, and don't have to worry about charging it too much. On iOS there is a battery indicator which is brilliant. In all the time I've used it, there hasn't been a drop in connection and music hasn't skipped.

Some minor niggles; no skip forward or back buttons, meaning you need to have the device playing music near you if you like skipping.
The mic on the device is just awful. I never intended to use this as a loudspeaker so it is a non issue for me, but I tried it a few times and had to hold the speaker at my mouth just so I could be heard.

Summary

A good speaker, with some serious flaws that just aren't worth the price.
I would recommend the Logitech UE Mobile speaker over this, as it is cheaper and from my own listening time with it performs better in louder environments with good bass.
on 28 August 2012
I bought the Jambox from the Apple shop to play my music on from my Iphone when on the move.
The audio quality is particularly impressive with live audio enabled and it gives very impressive 3D sound. The only down side of "live audio" is that the maximum volume is rather low possibly although this could be resolved in a future software update. The unit is compact and looks good. My Talk is the PC/Mac software that allows personalisation and updates and this seems to work well with no problems on either Mac or PC. The Bluetooth seems to work fine and the pairing/connection to Iphone and MBA seems solid and reliable. Range is as one would expect.
With a built in microphone it also handle phone calls and the clarity of these is excellent. Connectivity is (apart from the Bluetooth) is via a micro USB socket below the on off switch. There have been some concerns regarding the fragility of this with reports of the socket coming adrift which renders the device useless as it is used for charging. I do not as yet seem to have had this happen to my unit! So, on the good side is the 3d audio quality and the good looks and small size of the unit. On the not so good side is the price, rather a low max volume and reported concerns as to the micro USB socket.
In the box: unit/ case/ USB lead/ wall plug/ audio cable/ Quick start guide.
on 13 October 2012
Lets start with the obvious, it looks cool. When you drop it in a room everyone wants to play with it.

But how does it sound? Well pretty good actually. It is a small speaker but the quality is good. You won't use it when hosting a party, but as a travel speaker it's the best I've ever owned, and I've had lots.

Setting up is a doodle. And to prove point when on a recent weekend away two friends easily connected their iPhones so we could play more than what I had on mine.

They make a claim about battery life and so far I've found it to be true. It outlasts my iPhone and does not need a recharge on a weekend trip. So one less cable to carry.

Last point - it's very robust. The top and bottom are some sort of rubber so you need to throw it against a wall to damage it. Probably not advisable though!!

And the last last point, for best sound put it on a solid surface near a wall..
on 30 September 2012
Bought this for my husband after seeing our sons, excellent service especially when a high street giant couldn't be bothered to take security tag off for us to listen to. At least ordering this way no quibble to return if not satisfied. My husband tends to use all over the house ie bathroom, office and any trip we make. an excellent sound for such a compact speaker. Recommend for all music lovers.
on 11 October 2012
This is a very good small speaker that connects across blue-tooth, I use it from my Nokia 808, my Android phone and from my LapTop running Linux. It works very well on all of them. It can also be used as a hands-free kit in your car, if connected to a phone it handles incoming calls very well. The battery life is very good, it lasts for days of use no problem. It is good and loud with exceptional low frequency response. It is easy to use with straight forward actions on 3 buttons and sliding power switch, pairing with blue-tooth is simple.
on 27 March 2014
I was dubious about this, but after seeing it half price on amazon I thought why not. First, its small. Much smaller than you think its going to be. But its really well made, looks and feels great. You need to download the update for it by hooking it up to your computer, this means it can use a 'live audio' setting which greatly improves the audio. Its loud enough for my large flat, where you can hear it throughout the flat, but its not LOUD (if that makes sense). For me, its perfect, but if you want booming sound, maybe go for the bigger version. The sound quality with Live audio on is excellent, really good - not tinny or cheap sounding at all. Love the fact its so portable and you can move it anywhere.
on 6 November 2015
Recently took this on holiday and it produces excellent sound for its tiny size. We sunbathed outside our room and had music playing to it from our smartphones. Loud and clear and the battery seems to last for ages. When it needs to be charged, its just a simple case of plugging in the included charger. The speaker itself has a nice weight to it and feels well made. Also comes packages very well, and has an included slip case to carry it around.
on 2 April 2014
Originally bought this at a higher price, contacted Amazon and they cancelled the order and I reordered it at the cheaper price so straight away 5* for Amazon customer service.

I bought this as I wanted something portable that would give me good sound quality but was small enough to fit inside my handbag - this delivers on all levels. The sound quality is fantastic, very sharp and very very smooth, perfect for my needs - as previous people have stated this is not a speaker you could use at a party but I didn't want it for that. This is perfect for the garden, office, anywhere where you might want to listen to music without deafening anyone. The actual structure of the speaker is excellent it is rubberised and therefore when on a unit sits solidly; you also don't have the feeling that it could crack or break.

All in all I am so impressed with this and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a portable speaker.
on 13 April 2013
End user extremely happy! Sound quality great for such a small speaker system, definite recommend to anyone who needs mobile sounds!