on 5 June 2003
I have been working on developing a web application now for about 6 months and just recently got this book. I only wish I had got hold of it 6 months ago. Looking through the table of contents it contains examples of nearly all the Javascript functionality that I have struggled to incorporate into our application. I would have saved loads of time and probably have coded things a lot more efficiently if I'd had this book first. Topics such as date validation, handling script errors, creating a new window, bringing a window to the front, changing the contents of one frame from another, resizing frames, setting frameset specifications dynamically, blocking submissions from the Enter Key, Advancing Text Field Focus with the Enter Key to name just a few! I've already used it since getting it to look up modal windows and creating tree-view structures.
This is everything I expected that book to be.
I heartily recommend this book. It has tons of highly usable examples.
on 8 September 2005
I don't normally write reviews but after reading this book I felt I had to spread the good word. The style and pace of this book is excellent if you are already a programmer and need to pick up javascript quickly. You'll need a more comprehensive Javascript book to ensure you cover all bases, but if you want to learn the basics and how to actually deliver results without having to wade through chapters of general theory of programming then this is the type of book for you.
on 29 March 2008
This book delivers a lot.

It is uniquely difficult to get into client scripting because it draws on so many technologies; has been a battle ground for browser developers; and the development tools are so poor.

I read(tried to read) loads of books on client side scripting but could not get the picture I needed to understand what is going on. They either each describe a single technology which is not, in itself, enough to get started with, or they describe such a big picture that there is no practical application for the knowledge.

This book covers sufficient ground that a complete picture emerges but also links that picture to the practical details needed to get stuck in.

As well as getting me going there was plenty of depth to and detail whenever I wanted it.

I have always found that in each area there is one book which has provided the breakthrough. For client side scripting this has been that book.
on 14 May 2011
The trouble with a lot of web-related books is that they can age very quickly. A book on Facebook, for instance, will likely be out of date before it hits the shops. Javascript itself fairs much better, as is fairly robust and non-changing. DHTML... hmmm, in itself, DHTML is the same as its always been. However, as soon as you combine it with DOM manipulation then you hit the wall that is browser compatability.

The book was written in 2007. It worries about IE5 compatability. I am writing this using IE9. Firefox 4 is out now. Chrome exists. Go figure.

That being said, the logic behind how the code works is sound. Algorithms to calculate visibile window size etc hold whatever language you are using. Its just out of date when applied using the examples.

Had I written this review in 2007, I would have awarded it 5 stars, as it is excellent for its time. However, if you are looking in 2011 for a book on Javascript and DHTML etc, I recommend instead that you look at http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOM-Scripting-Design-JavaScript-Document/dp/1430233893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305357321&sr=1-1.
on 9 July 2014
Not so up-to-date nowadays, but a good format, and I've found it useful.
on 20 October 2014
good product. good price.