This Java API ebook has detailed examples of Java exception handling, access to system properties and console streams and shows how to run Windows programs from Java.
What if you were One Percent Better with the core Java API?
* You cast off doubt and revel in dynamic class loading
* You run Windows apps from Java, that's cool
* Legacy classes and deprecated methods lose their mystery
* You play catch and throw with exceptions
* You switch console streams like TV channels
What's inside the Java API ebook?
* 20 core Java API questions and answers
* 11 extra Java API answers from other FAQs
The Java API FAQ ebook helps you solve problems like these.
Java API versions
What are legacy classes?
You've heard of legacy classes but need a pointer on class compatibility.
* What's the difference between the Java versions?
* Where can I find out more about the Java API?
Java system integration
What is System.out?
System.out seems different from other Java classes until you learn how Java console output works.
Are the Java console streams subclasses of System?
The dot separators in System.out.println() point to the nature of Java console streams.
* How do I get the name of the operating system?
* How do I find the size of an object in Java?
* How can I copy process information from Windows task manager?
What is a NullPointerException in Java?
NullPointerExceptions flag simple bugs that can you can anticipate and check.
* What's the difference between checked and un-checked exceptions?
* Can you give an example of catching an exception?
* How can I throw a NumberFormatException back to the main() method?
How can I get a class reference without using new operator?
Avoid specific class references and learn to load a class at runtime.
What's the difference between the Class.forName() method and the new operator?
You've got a class reference, now find out how to get an instance.
* What is the return type for the Class.forName(String) method?
* How can I implement the Class.forName() scheme?
* How can I cast an unknown sub-class returned by newInstance()?
* Is Class.forName() runtime polymorphism?
Java Abstract Window Toolkit classes
What is the difference between heavyweight and lightweight components?
Understand heavyweight interface elements and choose the right Java GUI components.
* How do I draw a Rectangle on a Graphics instance?
Extra Java API questions
This ebook includes 11 extra Java API-related answers from 7 other Java FAQs.
* How does Class.forName(dbDriver) work with DriverManager.getConnection()?
* Why not statically import a database driver class?
* How can I get the path to an installed program?
* How can I divert console output to a file?
* What does this deprecation message mean?
* How can I find the inherited attributes of a class?
* Is an API a help document?
* What's the difference between an interface and an API?
* I get “incompatible return type” for my thread's getState( ) method!
* Apache Log4J has thrown a ThreadDeath error!
* Why is Vector a legacy class?