James Bond: Bloodstone (Xbox 360)
I don't usually write reviews but feel the need to here due to Bloodstone receiving a pretty poor review on IGN, which after playing I feel is/was unwarranted.
Having never played a Bond game other than the old Goldeneye on the N64, I really didn't know what to expect but in summary I was really entertained by it. I appreciate that there are many reviews on Amazon so I'll try and present my review in a quick and easy to digest bullet point format...
* Script/Story - it would hold up against many, if not all, recent Bond films. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if this script was first commissioned for film. Excellent.
* Voice Acting - again, excellent. Its great to have Daniel Craig and Judi Dench reprise their roles and the supporting cast is excellent - especially guest star Joss Stone who plays Nikki in the game and incidentally sings the theme tune in true Bond style.
* Gameplay - I really enjoyed it. I played it to completion on the easiest difficulty (recruit) and it took me between 8 and 10 hours. The game fires along at a fair old pace and the mix of shooting, stealth, and car chases really made it feel like you were in a Bond film. I've started on '00' difficulty now and its extraordinarily challenging so I'd think it will take far longer to play through than the 7 hours being touted in some places.
* Gadgets - I liked the smartphone although its a rip off from Batman: Arkham Asylum. It fitted in with the game's story and is useful as a help function if you're struggling in places. So, although copied from another title it was used to very good effect.
* Graphics - there are better games out there, but I found the scenery, likenesses of Bond and M, animation of characters, etc all to be very good. It certainly didn't put you off the gameplay.
* Sound - no complaints here. Top stuff.
* Prologue - the 15 minute (or so) prologue at the beginning leading into the Bond title sequence is awesome. It makes this a Bond film. Had a big smile on my face when the titles kicked in. I know it doesn't impact on the game but it really helps set the mood and feel.
* Cutscenes - maybe not a big deal for most but you can pause the cutscenes which I think more games should have the option to do.
* I haven't had a try at the multiplayer/on line play so can't really comment on it.
Overall, a top game that I'm glad I purchased. ... Now to play the Goldeneye remake on the Wii!
EDIT: ... And you really can't go wrong for the current price (as @ 04/12/2011) of £11.99 that its now on sale for!