on 25 November 2013
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Rachel Marks and Kelly Walker.)
This is book 4 in the `Souls of the Stones' series, but is actually a prequel to the series.)
Valencia is the Crown Princess of Sheas, and takes her position extremely seriously.
Can Valencia ever find love? What is best for her people? And should she bind the lines?

This was an okay story, but I didn't like it as much as the other books in the series.

I found Valencia quite hard to warm to. She was very sure of herself, and her belief in her king and country, and seemed quick to dismiss things that didn't go as she expected or wanted them to go. I found her a much harsher character than her daughter Emariya, and it took a long time for me to really feel any empathy for her.

The storyline was okay, but I did get a little bored with the politics going on. Valencia seemed more interested in what was good for her kingdom rather than what she wanted or felt, and unfortunately I have never been a fan of books that are heavy on politics and war. I did find it difficult to keep track of what was going on in the story, and just couldn't really get into it properly.
There was a little bit of romance, but it was very brief, and wasn't really all that compelling.

The ending was not a happy one, as anyone who has even so much as read the blurb for this book will know, we were left with hope though, and funnily enough this book made me want to re-read this series so that I could reconnect with Emariya.
Overall; an okay story, but I didn't like it as much as the rest of the series. If you haven't read this series, I urge you to try Cornerstone!
6.5 out of 10.
on 3 February 2014
Crown princess Valencia Roth is lonely and all she wants to do is her duty to her kingdom, Sheas, and her people, and to bring peace to all three kingdoms, Sheas, Thalmas and Eltar. Having decided to try and marry Oren, ruler of Eltar, who is also a cornerstone like Valencia but some people what to kill her because they are against bindings the lines. Then she meets Reid and dares to hope that she can have something for herself and fall in love with someone she wants. However, after a disaster, Valencia decides that she is not going to do what she is told and to make her own path.

Jaded Stone is a very enjoyable fantasy book with action and romance. I have not read cornerstone, however, I did not feel like I missed anything but it might be more enjoyable to read it in the correct order.

Valencia is not your normal lovable YA princess, as she is sure of herself and does not let herself get walked over especially if it is what is best for her kingdom even if it is not what is best for her. The secondary characters are all well written and three dimensional, however, I wish we could have seen more of Oren's POV.

I will sometime be reading Cornerstone as I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend Jaded Stone to fans of YA fantasy books.