Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2014
Don't be fooled by the size of this commentary or the style of it. This may not be a verse by verse exposition of the text but I guarantee you will find the content is covered as thoroughly as in any such commentary. Plus you'll find it a lot more enjoyable and entertaining! I have never yet read a commentary by Dale Ralph Davies that I have been disappointed with and the reasons are as follows. His comments on the text are thorough and insightful and unlike many modern commentators he is very good at applying the text to the modern day and how Christians should be living. The other thing I like is the easiness and readability of what he writes. Pastors don't necessarily want to be baffled by theological jargon, they just want to preach in a way that is straightforward and easy to understand for their congregations. Certainly, this is something that Dale Ralph Davies seems to keep in mind when he writes as he has many years experience as a Pastor and still continues to have a preaching ministry (which certainly shows in the way he writes). That being the case if you're looking to get just one commentary on Joshua, whether it be for preaching or Bible study, then get this one. I doubt you find one that is more informative and you certainly won't get one that is more fun to read!
on 2 August 2012
Absolutely fantastic, I never thought I would find a commentary so thoroughly enjoyable, Davis manages to communicate deep truths clearly, and in a very interesting way. I flew through it in just over a week, and would definitely re-read it, to pick up more thoughts on Joshua. I truly will never see Joshua in the same way again (in a good way!)

I'm now reading the second book authored by Davis, on Judges, and will then read all the others in the Focus on the Bible series by him.

If you want an accessible way to get into a deeper study of the bible, then I can't recommend this enough.
on 12 October 2012
Others have said that if you can only have one commentary on Joshua then this is the one to get. They also said it contained good application while being based on thorough scholarly research. I was dubious that such a slim volume could accomplish so much; I thought I needed something with more technical analysis of the Hebrew text. I was wrong; they were right. It is astonishing how the author manages to address the academic debates so concisely yet convincingly, and somehow find space to bring the lessons home for life in today's world. Highly recommended.
on 31 July 2014
Bought this as a present for my dad who has read other commentaries by the same author and he was really pleased with it. He said the author really puts things in a clear, easy to understand way. I will look for other books by the same author for future birthdays etc.
on 8 November 2013
Excellent, relevant exegesis, 100% recommend! Direct, even finding treasure in the 'dry' parts (dry for 21 c Western Christians perhaps) of the listing of inheritances. Pointing always towards finding God's overwhelming grace.
on 19 September 2014
Excellent as usual from Ralph Davis.
on 2 December 2015
Brilliant. Food for the soul.
on 15 December 2014