• JET

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 15 October 2012
All Maya wanted was to live a simple life, but when demons from her past come calling she finds herself in a battle for survival. The story takes us around the world as Jet - a former Mossad agent - seeks to find out not only who could want her dead, but who knows she's still alive. The action kicks off from the very first pages and gallops unrelenting towards a great climax.

One thing I hate when reading action books is to get weighed down by waffling, flowery prose. Thankfully, Blake avoids this and the story keeps you hooked throughout. His new hero is believable and well crafted, and I know we're going to hear a lot more from her.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 December 2012
I have to say that Mr Russell Blake is now one of my favourite writers. The action in his books is spectacular, full of 'special effects', yet, absolutely plausible and absolutely fascinating. You will also find that Mr Blake works magic with his words, because he writes many things without actually writing them but you know they are happening and you can visualise them in your mind while reading.
Maya, Codename Jet, is what I would qualify the epitome of men fantasy and what most of us women, would like to be (I think!). She is brave and determined, can be ruthless to the point of being fearless although, when caught unaware and not on a mission, you can feel her vulnerability and her humanity. She is loyal, she is intelligent without showing superiority and obviously, she is extremely beautiful and sensual. But unlike other writers' heroines, her beauty is natural. You could not envisage her not to be beautiful because you feel her beauty comes inside and radiate outside. Also even though she is the epitome of ''girl power'', she is assertive without being aggressive (a great difference that many writers do not realise and their heroines come out as brash and stubborn). Jet does not need to put down her male counterparts to be heard, and while she can be stubborn, she can also listen to reason and change her plans accordingly. But make no mistake, she is no angel (after all, she is an assassin) and she is not perfect, she is just herself. That is what makes her so endearing.
I see that other reviewers have talked about the plot, so, I shall not ramble on.
I was extremely lucky to stumble upon JET (JET #1) when the author kindly allowed it for free for a few days. But believe me, free or not, if you like action books, then you cannot go wrong by downloading it. Jet I finished on a twist and a cliff hanger so, I have downloaded Jet II and Jet III because I have to know what will happen next.
I could not rate JET (JET #1) less than 5 stars.
on 11 March 2013
Although this book constantly reminded me of a film I watched a couple of years ago (and which I cannot for the life of me remember the name) it was nonetheless a rip-roaring yarn, and a well written, professional novel.
Fast paced, it streaks along at a cracking rate, spanning half the globe, with twists and turns a-plenty along the way.
on 28 October 2012
Russell Blake's "Jet" is the first novel in a fast paced trilogy that will have you on the edge of your seat. Jet is an ex-Mossad operative who faked her own death to get out of the business. She's made a new life for herself on the island of Trinidad. Suddenly her life is disrupted by an assassination attempt that could only have been planned by professionals.

Now Jet must figure out how she was betrayed and who wants her dead. Her search will take her across continents and unearth a plot of destruction and domination.

The character of Jet reminded me of an older Lizbeth Salander from "The Dragon Tattoo". Blake gives Jet more emotion and depth in this first book of the trilogy than Lisbeth had in "Dragon", in my opinion. The villains are deliciously evil.

The story is fast-paced and full of unexpected twists and turns. It's a great thrill ride that will leave you anticipating the rest of the trilogy.

5 stars - Kate Farrell, The Kindle Book Review
(The KBR received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. We are not connected with the author, publisher, or Amazon in any way.)
on 20 January 2013
I tell you what, this is shaping up to be the book of 2013, and I'm only 5 chapters in. Best of all, it cost £0.00p!!! The action starts almost from page one (and I'll use an overly familiar metaphor here) it's a rollercoaster ride of edgy writing, with superb characterisation. I loved the chase through the back allies and streets of Trinidad. You almost feel like the pursuer's have Jet's number but of course, that would make for a very short book. Looking forward to another 5 or six chapters tonight.....
on 11 January 2013
Russell Blake is a force-of-nature, I don't know where he's holed up, but wherever it is there can't be a lot of distractions. I think he's now published 18 books in as many months. The latest includes the Jet series, and he launched the first four of these in the back half of 2012. These are thrillers in the Lee Child / Jack Reacher mould, only more so. They're short, sharp and straight-forward - don't expect much sophistication in the plotting; there's lots of action, very little sitting around and pondering, and about as much navel-gazing as you'd get from Daniel Craig as 007, i.e. an occasional grim look in the mirror.

And while it's nuts and bolts stuff, Tab A always fits squarely and neatly into Hole A, and it all comes together like the solid piece of craftsmanship that it is, and the writing occasionally elevates to several notches higher. I wouldn't call it art, but there's some excellent descriptive stuff in here. I don't know that I'll be rushing back to Jet 2 in the short-term, but I'll get there next time I'm looking for an easy, super-entertaining read.
on 4 March 2013
I got this as a free kindle download and didn't expect too much. I was wrong. I enjoyed the book. It's easy to read and I looked forward to read the next page. The plot was light and rather far fetched in my opinion but I still read to the end. It was a good change to most of the books I read. I'd call the book a good holiday read.
on 2 June 2013
I am glad I read the author's introduction and checked out his excellent web site before reading this novel - it helped put the book into context. By which I mean to say that 'Jet' is not supposed to be high-brow literary, or deeply philosophical, or emotionally challenging - and Mr Blake explains this well, and lets us know that his tongue is firmly in his cheek during this Jason Bourne meets Sydney Bristow spy-caper. Taking on board the spirit in which it is written, the tale becomes great fun to read - you kind of know the plot twists before they occur, and you are confident that Jet will prevail in each progressively more implausible situation in which she finds herself.

Just as importantly, Russell Blake is a professional writer - his prose is polished, there are no editing or spelling errors in this book, unlike many I have downloaded for budget price on Kindle, - all of which certainly adds to the reading pleasure.

I will definitely be reading more of the Jet books, and I will also seek out Mr Blake's other published output, including that excellent web site I mentioned, which I would strongly recommend to any budding authors out there. Great stuff.
on 12 December 2012
Jet is the first book in an action/thriller series. It's about a mom that wears leather and shoots people. It's fun. I read the last couple chapters in my hot tub. And, the action was so intense that upon being interrupted by one of my kids, I dropped my Kindle. FYI. Kindles are not waterproof. The good news is I had a back-up, so I could finish this tale. If you love action-thrillers. You'll love this book. It's violent, but interesting and original. It's also the 18th book published by Russell Blake in 18 months, which I find incredible. Insane. I've read several books by Mr. Blake now, and they're all excellent. Unlike many independent books, this book is well written and features pacing and character development equivalent to any published shoot-em-up thriller. If you haven't read a book by Russell Blake yet, you should. I then suggest asking yourself, how can a man write 18 professional/entertaining novels in 18 months? Hopefully, if you're like me, Mr. Blake's effort will then inspire you to work on the things you want to do in your own life - maybe even write a book...
on 24 April 2013
Just started reading this. What a good and cleverly written read. If you like intrigue, mayhem, difficult scrapes and don't mind a little fisty cuffs to describe how things happen, then this is the one for you. it is a bit like "Strike-Back" and "Spooks" all roled into one, with some feeling at times, and a little romance (not too much though !!!). yes a real winner !!! very graphic and very descriptive. All in all a jolly good thriller, and of course the main character is a heroine. Give it a go.