Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2005
I thought this book will quicken the development on JBoss. But disappointed as I started to read the pages. There is no joy in reading this book and the way it has been written there is no encouragement from the authers either. So much dump of code and Xml descriptors without adequate explanation in an understandable way for an ordinary user. The authors Scot and Mark are now at the top level management of JBoss group and I guess they are the initial architects and developers of JBoss. So from their perspective, coming down to an ordinary user level may be difficult.
I am going to buy the O'Reilly book 'JBoss at Work'.
on 3 August 2005
This book appears to have been written 'by developers for developers'. Herein lies the problem - hardcore developers aren't always that good at writing documentation. There is no gradual pacing of the document - that is, it jumps straight into highly technical stuff. I much prefer O'Reilly or WROX (or whatever its called now) for introducing basic concepts, and adding to these basic building blocks of understanding.
Other niggles: References to colored text in diagrams - whilst my version of the book is has grayscale diagrams only;
Appendix B mentions that the book comes with example source code. Mine didn't; The code examples are incomplete, but I suppose in the long run all the hacking trying to get even a simple example to work will pay off in a deeper understanding of how it all works (I hope?)
on 9 April 2006
The book is just a dump of the online Application Server Guide which can be found at [...] I feel like a sucker who was ripped off in a con game. Just another mark for the corporate con artists. Also, there isn't any source code with the book although it is referenced many times. If I could give it negative stars I would.