Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Just After Sunset forum

I've read everything by Stephen King - aaargh!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Sep 2008 14:12:00 BDT
I. De Wolff says:
If only I could erase my mind of Stephen King books and get the pleasure of reading them all again with no idea of the endings...
Looking forward to this new book...
I just took out Cell again to read and in the last months have reread It and Misery.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2008 01:32:07 BDT
B. Gillmore says:
In my opinion 'Cell' is a bit meh. Before you say it; I did understand the story line and I think he could have gone much further with it. Also, the ending was the biggest "meh..." bit. A tad dissapointing. I actually took a break from reading Stephen King after I read 'Cell'.

His best novels (I'm sorry to say) are from his drug-abusing days, like Cujo (which he doesn't actually remember writing) and Misery, which is one of the best I'd say.

Just thought I'd put in my... two cents? I don't know if that's right. If you're not American ignore this bit :)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 17:39:37 GMT
J.L. Rockell says:
I much prefer his earlier novels,I tried to stop rereading them so I could concentrate on new reads,but I still occasionally have to have a reread,even of the boring ones.Im looking forward to the new book,even though Im not to ig on his short stories sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2008 22:19:59 GMT
I have already got the new book (short stories) as my wife asked the staff at my local supermarket on the QT if they had it in yet, so I could have it for my birthday on Oct 21st. A great read and King seems more focussed in his short stories.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2008 11:19:44 GMT
I know exactly what you mean. I've read almost everything and most of them at very least twice. My SK books have pride of place on my bookshelves. Have you read the new one now? I finished it this morning and enjoyed it lots, particularly the last story in the book. :O)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2009 22:57:46 GMT
R. White says:
Have to say I thought Cell very slow. I do really prefere his earlier books, the characters in these seem to have much more depth. The Stand is one of my favourites.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2009 17:22:43 GMT
marky77 says:
I had the same problem, through my early teens I read all of Stephen Kings books (I should point out that this was only a couple of years ago, I'm 18 now). I hadnt read any of adult authors so had no clue what to do and just tried random authors from the horror section.

Richard Laymon is my favourite horror author, probably better than King in my opinion.

Btw, IT and Misery are my favourites, 2 :).

I havent been able to finish Any of the latest Stephen King books - Cell, Liseys Story, Duma Key - I just found them really tedious and (with the exception of Cell) not even in the horror genre really. He's deffinatly lost it, I think (which is a shame, he was once a great author), I doubt I will read any more of his new books unless I happen to catch them in the library.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2009 23:06:05 GMT
kermit 333 says:
hi Marky! Thank heaven someone else thinks like me! (And has the guts to say so) agree completely with you but did like Blaze ( interestingly written in the 80's) try it you might be pleased to read a vintage book. Personally I think his accident has made him change direction - maybe he has started to explore different themes and maybe he is just getting older and has a different focus ................... BTW in case anyone thinks I'm dissing older people I'm not so young myself (54 this year aaarrggghhh)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 20:08:44 GMT
marky77 says:
Hi, sorry for slow responce!
I also enjoyed Blaze :)
If it was clear that his newer books were a different genre, I would be dissappointed but think fair enough, he should be able to choose what he writes, but he DOESNT make it clear, i is still implied on the blurbs etc that the books are horror and it annoys me when I spend £20 on a hardback, excited that it might be like his old books, only to find it is totally different than the description implies.
I think he always wanted to wrote general ficrion rather than horror, especially judging from his obvious love of his Dark Tower series...plus he said he wrote "Misery" about how fans couldn't accept it when an author changed writing style.
If your 54, have you read his books since they started coming out in the 70's? I'm 18 so have only read them over 5 or 6 years.

Posted on 10 Feb 2009 17:26:58 GMT
Dr Evil says:
"Blaze" is actually one of my favourite SK novellas. It almost is as good as the classics Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Body and The Mist.

The newer books are ok. I loved Duma Key, Cell was ok and I haven't gotten round to Liseys Story yet.

Amongst my favourites are Desperation, IT, Salems Lot and The Shining but my all-time favourite is Pet Semetary.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2009 00:16:06 BDT
kermit 333 says:
hi again Marky! yes am(was) a lifelong Stephen King fan so was reading them back in the seventies for my sins....... think he's gone off the boil but new book coming out later this year ("Under the Dome") so will have a go at that one and report back................... :))

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2009 22:29:09 BDT
There are many other writers out there to enjoy, including: Bentley Little, Brian Keene, Scott Nicholson, John Skipp, John Everson to name just a few.

Paul

Posted on 10 Jul 2009 22:30:21 BDT
P.S. 'The Shining' is perhaps my all time favourite King work.

Posted on 24 Aug 2009 19:07:48 BDT
K. McGregor says:
Hi there. Like you all, I'm a huge King fan!! And do agree that some of his later stuff isn't as good as the early days. My favourite book has to be The Stand - I've read all 1005 pages four times over the last 20 odd years, and have watched the dvd about 5 times.

King was interviewed once and when asked about The Stand, he said he felt depressed that so many people thought The Stand was his best work. He felt that made him feel he was over the hill as a writer.

But a later work that I absolutely love and which nobody ever mentions is Rose Madder - it's such a good psychological thriller - and one that's never been made into a movie. Hopefully one day Mick Garris will see the potential of Rose Madder.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2010 18:04:39 BDT
Big D says:
I agree, The Cell wasn't all that, but he has written so many great novels I find it hard to criticise him. However, try Cappawhite or From Sparta. Great stuff. Enough said.
Big D
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Just After Sunset forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  10 Sep 2008
Latest post:  19 Apr 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Just After Sunset
Just After Sunset by Stephen King (Hardcover - 12 Nov. 2008)
4.1 out of 5 stars (107)