Customer Discussions > Nation forum

I've read Pratchett....What next?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Jan 2009 13:39:28 GMT
Gary B. says:
Having read everything my favourite author has written (except the Johnny Maxwell Trilogy, I'm waiting for them to be delivered...) I've often tried finding new authors to move on to.

It's a struggle though - very little that friends have recommended has encouraged me to read more and Amazon's recommendations haven't gripped me either.

Are there any other writers out there who write with a similar sense of humour to Terry Pratchett, I'm not necessarily looking for a fantasy setting, just well written books which I find amusing.

All advice welcome....

Posted on 13 Feb 2009 09:01:17 GMT
Jenny PT says:
Very difficult because there really is nothing quite like him. Presumably you have read Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys is fantastic, also the one with TP - Good Omens, which is first rate. Have you tried Robertson Davies? The Deptford Trilogy is very good and although not funny all through there are some very well written comic scenes.

Posted on 13 Feb 2009 14:33:52 GMT
K. Crofton says:
What about old classics? Have you tried Douglas Adams, the Dirk Gently books and Hitchhiker books are very funny.

Posted on 16 Feb 2009 16:52:59 GMT
Nobody's as all-round wonderful as Terry Pratchett! But some of the later Tom Holt books (The Portable Door, In Your Dreams, Earth Air Fire and Custard, You Don't Have to be Mad to Work Here But It Helps, Barking) are well worth a look. They're funny, and unlike some of his earlier books, have involving characters and a coherence of plot.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2009 19:35:36 GMT
Flyingswan says:
Douglas Adams and Tom Holt have already been mentioned. How about Robert Rankin? Jasper fforde? Lois Bujold?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nation forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  28 Jan 2009
Latest post:  16 Feb 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nation
Nation by Terry Pratchett (Roughcut - 30 Sept. 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (209)