Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2009
Its not often that I come across a book like this which teaches self-esteem, kindness and acceptance of others in this way. This is a different kind of children's book. Its illustrations are bright, simple, neon, quirky, fun and funny. Its message is very clear. You are who you are. Be proud of it. Conversely the message also helps children to see that likewise, people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and no matter what they like or what they look like, no matter what their family situation, no matter what they do, they are just as worthy of respect as oneself. In today's world, where children learn from a very young age that appearances are prized way too much, this book offers a very positive, loving message.
You are special just because you are you.
It didn't matter that this book had a rather high price tag! I bought it straight away when I first set eyes on it in a local bookshop! The best thing is that my children took a shine to it (and they don't always like every book I buy for them). They ask me to read it at bedtime quite often.
This is a book which will appeal to youngsters and I'm sure will make an excellent gift!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 February 2008
If you haven't yet discovered the magic that is TODD'S WORLD, I recommend that you do so today! This series is great fun for both children and adults alike, whether it be in the form of a book or a video. Todd Parr knows what appeals to kids -- bold, bright, colorful illustrations and characters that are all unique in their own special way.

With IT'S OKAY TO BE DIFFERENT, children of all ages learn that no matter what your difference -- being in a wheelchair, being embarrassed, having different moms or dads, having an invisible friend -- it's perfectly A-OK. From the fanciful to the truthful to the whimsical, all kinds of differences are explored in ways that are easy to understand for the youngest reader, but that will also send home a message to those who are older.

This is one book you need in your personal collection!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
on 11 September 2001
"It is Okay to be Different" is an excellent book, for children, as well as adults. As an adult who grow up in the 70's, I would say that in our society, our schools often teach us to conform, to learn the rules and obey them. Children often grow up having the problems of low self-esteem and feeling uncomofortable in expressing their individuality. But, as the author of the book, Todd Parr, indicates in his book, it is precisely such indivdual differences which make each person so unique and valuable.
Easy to comprehend and with colorful pictures, this book is excellent for children because it aids them to appreciate who they are at an early age. The short biography of the author in the book also serves as an encouragement for children. It helps them to realize that to get to where you want, you have to believe in who you are.
on 26 September 2010
A great book that opens up lots of discussion with children about being 'different'. There are lots of differences covered in the book and they are all okay. Great for childminders and another one that Ofsted like to see in the collection.
on 31 August 2007
This book is a lovely colourfully illustrated book that shows children that it really is ok to be different. It is a fabulous basis to use to help children understand that everyone is ok regardless of colour, background, ability etc. I find it useful as a way to talk and share the ideas it promotes with my daughter without it being too heavy etc. (Ie one bit says it's ok to have wheels with a picture of a person in a wheelchair, which helps to chat about abilities etc). It is very simple in language so really aimed at 3-6yr olds.

Really would recommend it.
on 3 December 2012
Found this book to be very helpful for my 5 year old daughter in explaining to her about racial differences and how everyone is different but everyone is the same. The book is funny and has wonderfully wacky drawings that she really enjoys. The style of the book is fun but all the same the message is important.
For adoptive parents with children from different racial backgrounds this book is really useful in gently reminding children on how similar we all are, despite obvious racial differences.
on 9 November 2015
What an amazing book with an amazing message. I love this. Bought for my niece for Christmas alongside 'i can do it myself' which is an empowerment/independence book. Hoping to introduce her into a world where she feels she can be herself, and others can be themselves too. This book is a great starting point!
on 20 January 2012
A cute and colourful book for little ones, but I was expecting more of a story than the same line (more or less) on every page. It gets the message across that it's OK to be different, which is great; I just wish it did so in a way that is a little less boring.
on 24 January 2011
These books are fantastic, bright and full of lovely ideals. I will be buying the rest of the range. I did think that they were hard board books for some reason but it doesn't matter because baby looks at them with us and loves them already and he is only 6 months!
on 31 March 2011
All children should be aware that it is "Ok to be different", if we start teaching children at a young age about inclusion in a simple non threatening way, as in this book, it can only be a positive thing and encourage a bit more harmony in the world.