on 27 February 2011
Excellent read, brought back memories of my training in the 1970's, could relate to lot of experiences. Was transported back in time especially the awful night shifts. Told with honesty and feeling. Would recommend particularly if you want a trip down memory lane.
on 9 November 2012
A reasonably entertaining book, though the writing is a bit clunky and disjointed. Don't be fooled by the strapline - Tales From the Swinging Sixties. Swing it does not, apart from the odd kilt as it is set in the north east of Scotland. Readable but forgettable.
on 8 November 2012
Struggled through this book. Found the story confusing at times and the characters weren't really rounded out enough to care about them. Only kept going because I hate to start a book and not finish it.
on 24 December 2011
This book was something of a disappointment. I felt that the book seemed more like a novel than a memoir and I found the author's style of writing to be ambiguous and inconsistent with a non-fiction book. I found her lengthy portions of dialogue incongruous and that after 40+ years, it was unlikely that the details of lengthy conversations between people could be replicated and yet this book contained such exchanges numerous times. On that basis, I found these conversations unbelievable and they seemed more like "vehicles" for the author to try her hand at witty dialogues which didn't quite ring true - not what I expect in a memoir. The narrative was often erratic and awkward to follow without having to go back and re-read and it was often difficult to work out who said what in these dialogues.

I found it very difficult to remember which of her fellow students were which, as there was little time taken to describe each of them to make them distinct from each other. We were provided with a collection of names with almost nothing to differentiate one colleague from another in any meaningful way. I also found many of the anecdotes in this book to be rather hackneyed. The story of numerous patients' dentures being collected for cleaning in a basin so that they became mixed up has been related in virtually every nursing memoir I have read and it's difficult to believe that this incident could have repeatedly happened so often in so many hospitals over several decades... It would have been nice to read a humorous story that I hadn't heard before.

I felt the book was lacking in tales I could relate to and it did drag at the beginning, before suddenly launching into a gallop in the final quarter of the book. All in all, I had hoped for a little more from this. Sorry. :-(
on 12 March 2014
Took me back 40 years to the PTS of September 70 in the RVH which is situated on the Falls Road referred to on the last page of this book. The friendships made then continue for a lifetime. We have just had a reunion celebrating 40 years since qualifying as staff nurses.
on 3 April 2011
This book promised much but didn't quite deliver. The stories were interesting and at times quite funny but I didn't like the writer's style and found myself going back a few pages to determine who was who again. It was okay.
on 3 November 2010
A witty amusing book warmly written but dont be mistaken behind the fun of being a student nurse in the sixties we see the critical eyes of young people embarking on a career they without any doubt see the seriousness of, sometimes more than their tutors!!.Written in a light hearted way but the serious message 'shines through as we contemplate on Mrs Joy and what she has left behind, in one of the books later chapters Elizabeth Kokholm Denmark
on 10 August 2011
Disappointing! As a student nurse myself in the late sixties I found her account bland in relation to my own experiences. The writing style did not flow well, making it difficult to follow at times. Much of the book is taken up with school days and her pre-nursing experience, then a few chapters on early training then a big jump to finals... Does not live up to its title, I was expecting so much more!!
on 8 November 2012
This book starts off well, with history of how she got into nursing after failing a school career, but by the end, had become a bit of an effort to complete. Very repetitive, poorly edited with lots of grammatical and spelling errors, and frankly, quite boring. Not a patch on other autobiographical nursing and midwifery books Ive read.
on 23 October 2012
I must admit being a recently retired nurse I usually love this type of book but this one left me a little disappointed.
At times I found it difficult to follow when the author jumped from one subject to another. Some of the incidents are commonly told in other nursing/medical books e.g. the incident with the false teeth so I took this with a pinch of salt.
I also thought there was too much emphasis placed on what occured outside the hospital particularly the authors sister and the landlady.At one point the book suddenly jumped to her being a 3rd year student nurse and set to take her final exams with not hint as to what happened prior to that.
Lastly I would like to commend the author on her remarkable memory. I trained in 1970's and couldn't recall as many conversations as she did.
Fortunately I purchased this book for my Kindle when it was only 99p as part of the Kindle Daily Deal otherwise I would have been very disappointed