- Hardcover: 416 pages
- Publisher: Quercus (2 Aug. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 184724176X
- ISBN-13: 978-1847241764
- Product Dimensions: 14.7 x 22.2 x 4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,003,975 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Isms and Ologies: 453 Difficult Doctrines You've Always Pretended to Understand Hardcover – 2 Aug 2007
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
From empiricism to existentialism, and from Whiggism to Wahhabism, we live in a rampant wilderness of dogmas and doctrines, creeds and credos. But what do all these isms mean? What is the difference between an anarchist and an anarcho-syndicalist, a structuralist and a post-structuralist? Help is at hand in the small but perfectly formed shape of Isms and Ologies. Crackpot convictions, perplexing philosophies, tricky tenets, and wacky Weltanschauungs - Isms and Ologies lists them all, and explains their significance and salient features clearly and accessibly. “Isms and Ologies is emphatically not yet another almanacky sort of book, but is in fact a genuinely compelling and entertaining read. The flow of many of the most important ideas in human history has been frozen into forbidding abstractions, so it is a real pleasure to have them intelligently and readably thawed back into life.” Stephen Fry “Goldwag is a jovial and enthusiastic guide” Financial Times--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Arthur Goldwag first studied at Kenyon College and then at Brown University. He went on to work in book publishing for more than 20 years: at Random House, the New York Review of Books, and the Book-of-the-Month Club, amongst others. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
1. Politics And History - Afrocentrism, Fascism, Globalism, Liberalism, etc.
2. Philosophy And The Arts - The Classic Arts, Culture Studies, Materialism, Realism etc.
3. Science - Cosmic Humanism - Behaviourism - The Theory/Idea Of A Multi-Dimensional Universe And A Multi-Faceted Human Being;
4. Economics - Ecomomics Can Explain Almost Everything - The Game, Set & Match Theory Explained, Capitalism, Marxism etc;
5. Religion - Law & Order, Control Of The Masses, Religious Deities;
6. Sexual Perversions - Sex Sells - Sexual Inuendo's Have Shaped The World We Live In.
7. Eponyms, Laws, Foreign Words - Angst - Catch 22 - Gerrymander - Gestalt - Pollyanna and much much more.
In order to tailor your studies to suit your personal needs, ISMS AND OLOGIES: 453 DIFFICULT DOCTRINES YOU'VE ALWAYS PRETENDED TO UNDERSTAND by ARTHUR GOLDWAG has a Contents Page and an 'Alphabetical List Of Terms' at the front of the book.
At the back of the book is a detailed Index.
The ISMS AND OLOGIES: 453 DIFFICULT DOCTRINES................does suggest an imcomplete guide. I also find that 'Ageism', 'Psuedoism' 'Thatcherism' are not mentioned in this edition.
Maybe they are mentioned in later editions.
A Comprehensive Guide to ISMS AND OLOGIES: (453) DIFFICULT DOCTRINES YOU'VE ALWAYS PRETENDED TO UNDERSTAND by ARTHUR GOLDWAG and its subsequent later versions is Good enough to be given 'Reference Book' status and/or 'Dictionary' status.