on 16 March 2012
I am a hiker, climber & camper so am drawn towards travel writing of that ilk. I particularly like this authors relaxed style because you feel that you are reading about an expedition you went on. When you are trapped in the office or on the train, this gives you your much needed mountain-fix.
on 20 May 2015
Another travel diary from Mark Horrell. This time he and Mark take their support staff on a trip to climb the Mera Peaks, where there is great debate over whether the highest point is North or Central so it is decided to just climb both and use GPS to settle the question.

As always, the childish humour that connects you to these guys on their trek is there-the high spirited farting porters, wondering if Treebeard is hiding in the dark forest, Turd Corner up on the Peak and of course the confusion of being called an onion grandad...I'll leave that unexplained and let you read it for yourself!

Again the scenery sounds stunning as they tackle the white snow peaks of Mera as the start of the trek, surrounded by beautiful forests and mountain ranges. The ultimate objective here is Island Peak, close to Everest where other trekkers find that weather and trekking conditions might be a bit tougher than they expected. At the end of the trek, Mark starts on a solo trip around the Everest area to get new views of the mountain despite the days of snow that hamper his plans.

It sounds like such a great if tiring trip. It's the kind of thing I'd do if I could turn the clock back a few years to when I had the money and fitness to do things like this! Great to have so many photographs to show you what the scenery was like.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 on my star rating which is different to this site.

1-didn't like
2-ok
3-like
4-really liked
5-loved
on 27 July 2012
I've become quite addicted to the Footsteps on the Mountain diaries. This is the fourth or fifth that I've read and it's written with a comfortable, easy style. The author doesn't get particularly technical but nor is it devoid of facts. This is one of the better diaries as unlike the majority of others (in which it's a description of events on the same mountain) there's a lot more ground covered.

As another reviewer mentioned they are great for getting you thinking about being out there yourself and for the price are well worth picking up.
on 18 February 2013
Another triumph for Mark Horrell, A fascinating insite to the tantalizing Himalays that Mark obviously loves so much, His expeditions are always full of excitment but also always filled with highly skilled experience,
I always feel I am walking along side him,
His discriptions of these majestic mountains are always filled with a profound respect, and every page is truly spellbinding,
Really worth reading, Brilliant, Shelagh
on 11 October 2012
I hadn't heard of this writer and found "Islands in the Snow" after searching under "Nepal". I really enjoyed this book. It gives what feels like a realistic portrayal of walking in this wonderful landscape, with just enough of the realities of a trek to ground you. His touches of humour lighten it too. More power to this inspiring writer's elbow. I have already started on my next book by him.
on 5 January 2013
I enjoyed reading Mark's book of his trek in Nepal and am looking forward to the next one I have. I am only a walker, not a climber but have enjoyed many climbers books and can identify in some way to them. A great read for anyone who loves this kind of book.

I'll no doubt buy another of his books as his writing is good, easy to follow and interesting.
on 20 February 2014
Mark's writing style makes you feel like you're there with him on his adventures. I've downloaded all of his e-books and they've inspired me to get out there and do the trekking myself.

The funny anecdotes, the rugged-ness of the writing and the dialogue make you feel like you're sat in the tent as he writes. Definitely worth a read!
on 20 March 2013
A great read, which had me looking out my trekking map from Nepal, revisiting some fond memories of an amazing place, and thinking about when I might return. Well written - a refreshingly honest account which is much preferable to some of the puffed-up-danger-at-every-turn accounts. I heartily recommend this book.
on 20 February 2013
Well written account of trek, free from the normal animosity which often surrounds big groups, lots of down to earth info for would be more serious mountaineers - keep this up Mark
on 11 June 2013
Generally OK, but not a lot of information. A map and distances would be helpful. Similarly people are mentioned, but only in passing. There must have been more interaction.