Is Hardback really necessary

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Feb 2013 17:52:51 GMT
Dee07 says:
I really wish the publishers would offer a choice option between hardback and paperback...
1. I have all the books in paperback, along comes a hardback twice the size which doesn't fit with the rest on the shelf.
2. On a more problematic issue...do they ever consider that people with varying medical conditions - ME being one such person - find hardbacks very heavy and very difficult to hold, and whilst kindle is a great option, nothing actually replaces having a copy of the book!
It takes months for the paperback to come out which means you either have to buy it on kindle to read so you don't have to wait, and then pay again for the paperback copy to add to your collection, ie the publishers and Ms Gabaldon are getting paid twice! Sorry, but thats not fair!
Publishers should start asking around hospitals, surgeries, care homes etc and find out just how many people would prefer to have the option of a lighter weight paperback than a hardback, I think they'd be surprised!
And after all, publishing in hardback is only an excuse to charge more for the book anyway!!!!

Posted on 7 Apr 2014 11:46:41 BDT
I too wish it would come out in paperback at the same time - I like to read lying in bed, and even the paperback versions of the Outlander books are huge and heavy! I've decided to wait for the paperback version, after all I've waited 5 years for this book to come out, so a few more months won't hurt me :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2014 22:45:49 BDT
Kevin says:
There is often a "trade paperback" of books available in water stones bookshops. For example The Goldfinch was available in this format. These are paperbacks the size of hardbacks but weighting less. I have noticed that Amazon doesn't tend to sell trade paperbacks.

So it's worth checking out other bookshops.

Posted on 31 May 2014 22:50:35 BDT
Book Fiend says:
Having got all of them in paperback I am now buying hardback.
They last longer especially when reread over and over and they smell better!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  16 Feb 2013
Latest post:  31 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander)
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon (Hardcover - 10 Jun. 2014)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (568)