I have exactly the same problem with my new 120gb Ipod, it randomly jumps to the next track every 10 tracks or so & if you play the same track back again, it's fine so it must therefore be a software glitch. Have never experienced any issues like this before with my original 5 year old 40gb Ipod or any of the four Nano's & shuffle I've got so very annoying & Apple never even bothered to respond to my request for assistance on the subject!! Updating to the latest version of Itunes a few weeks back did appear to stop the problem but it appears to have returned again following the latest sync of a few new albums. Will have to resort to restoring the IPOD & see if that works but I won't hold my breath. Any other suggestions out there as only other alternative is to return it to Amazon.
See my product review elsewhere. This product is widely reported to be faulty in exactly the way you describe. Return it immediately and say the reason it took so long to return is because you had to spend hours finding out why it was happening. Apple should not be allowed to get away with wasting so many people's time and money in this way.
After months of digging around I managed to find out why the iPod Classic (better yet, any and all iPods for that matter) skip tracks.
Let me just make a clear and concise point here: there is nothing wrong with your iPod! The problem is the mp3 tracks. And the method of tagging (the data... such as title; artist; album etc... assigned to each file). I'll elaborate.
Simply put... there are various editions of the ID3 tag (a technology used to introduce additional information to mp3 files, besides the sound profile)... and when two or more are used for a mp3 file it will skip on an iPod because the iPod's firmware comes across the mp3 file, and cannot decode the two sets of tag simultaneously (scrambling the "iPod Brain", if you will). This is because data is encoded at the beginning and end of the string of code for an mp3 file. (An example of this can be shown if you 'open' a mp3 file with a Windows based program such as Notepad or Notepad++ etc.). Only one tag will suffice. When iPod comes across files like this it skips them... probably to prevent further corruption... or whatever... that's not the point - the point is... it disrupts our listening pleasure.
An easy way to fix this (albeit a tedious one) is to nab yourself a program called foobar2000 [Google it]... it has a function where you can drag and drop in your music into the main window (don't worry, it uses MINIMAL system memory, is freeware, and doesn't take too long) and you can right click the whole selection... and remove tags.
What this will do is remove lines from the 'code string' at the beginning and end of the file (where tag information is stored on an mp3)... effectively relieving it of corruption. Depending on how many files you have in your music library this may take some time to remove the tags.
Once it's done... reload the files into iTunes... and you are beset with the task of retagging all your music from within iTunes' 'Get Info' function (accessible from right clicking the music file). Long... I know... but my iPod runs flawlessly and I'm constantly praised on how well organised (and purddddy looking) it is. ;)
This is a failsafe method... I have a library in excess of 15,000 songs... but please, please, please - BE WARNED - IF, and only if, you are comfortable with re-inputting the tags for your music through iTunes... use this fix. If not, DO NOT bother - but you'll have to live with some skippy tracks.
- IF you try going through your iPod and finding those problem tracks... a shuffle will do, you can just about glimpse the name of the song and artist before your iPod cues it to play, before skipping to the next one because it's corrupted... you can find and locate these files in your iTunes library... right click the problem file, and select something like 'Go To Windows Location'... it'll open up Windows Explorer and highlight the problem file... drag and drop this file into foobar2000 and do the fix. This may save you some time because you're only attempting to fix the problem files, which may be few and far between in a huge library. Needles in haystacks though, if you have a library as big as mine... which leads me to my next point...
- every time you get new music be sure to bung it into foobar, detag it, then reload into iTunes... good method if you only download the odd track every now and then
- THE REASON WHY ITUNES DOESN'T REPORT THESE CORRUPTIONS (by skipping them) is because the software employs a "discretionary" type of behaviour when it accesses the music file - choosing to ignore one or the other tags, either at the beginning or end of the code string. iPods don't have this capability, but iTunes does - sucks eh?
- music downloaded from the iTunes Store DOES NOT need to be detagged... so you can leave these files exempt (AAC, AAC+ and the like...).
- do not try to edit the ID3 version through iTunes... this will only corrupt the album art function on your iPod.
- try to rip your CD's with iTunes... it'll utilise the correct ID3 tagging method (as described in the 'reloading into iTunes' portion of this fix).
- If you can't remember the details of some releases... a GREAT website to use... discogs[dot]com ... a huge, easy to use database with 1000s of music releases... (even EPs, one-offs and b-sides) to boot. It will help ALOT when you need the release year, album name or even album art (simple copy and paste job into iTunes Get Info window) ;)
I hope this helps out alot of folk, I'm just sorry I didn't notice this sooner - would save y'all alot of time and effort (and probably money) on returning and awaiting brand new iPods) - I purchased one of these beauties on launch, never had a problem with it. :)