Introduction to Health and Safety in Construction is the definitive handbook for the National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety from NEBOSH (May 2010 specification), with each element of the syllabus explained in detail, and all the relevant legislation summarised for quick reference. To make studying easier, each chapter starts with learning objectives and ends with questions taken from recent NEBOSH examinations, and a chapter of sample answers can be found at the end of the book.
This book covers the specific health and safety challenges faced by the construction industry, as well as the basics of occupational health and safety in general. It covers all the essential elements of health and safety management, the legal framework, risk assessment and control standards, and includes checklists, report forms and record sheets.
The books is also relevant for built environment and construction courses both in the UK and overseas, as well as providing a handy reference for managers and qualified professionals dealing with day-to-day health and safety issues.
New to this edition:
- Over 60 new diagrams and photographs in full colour
- Restructured in line with 2010 NEBOSH syllabus
- Covers new regulations on Tower Cranes, Supply of machinery (safety) Regulations 2008, Control of Artificial Optical Radiation at Work, Chemicals (Hazard Information and Packaging for Supply) Regulations (CHIP4), and European Classification: Packaging and Labelling
- Beyond the syllabus there is a chapter on environmental protection, including the new Environmental Permitting Regime
- A summary of Lord Young’s 2010 Report Common Sense, Common Safety
- A chapter with guidance on searching the internet, with a range of significant health and safety websites where readers can access huge amounts of guidance and statistical data
A companion website with downloadable tutor and student support materials, including editable PowerPoint slides and a set of full colour electronic ‘spot the hazard’ inspection exercises is available at: www.routledge.com/cw/hughes