The past decade has seen the development and testing of an increasingly large set of ergonomics tools. With new sections in every chapter, the third edition of Introduction to Ergonomics describes a representative selection of tools and demonstrates how to apply them in practice. In fully researched, stand alone sections with worked examples, the book provides useful, practical skills for dealing with real-world ergonomic problems. The author’s approach is based on a professional model in which specialized skills are backed-up by a good general knowledge of ergonomics. This approach is in accordance with International Ergonomics Association guidelines.
See what’s new in the Third Edition:
- Ergonomics Workshop sections in each chapter with worked examples and advice for using problem solving tools
- Guidance for the design of questionnaires, rating scales, and the conduct of surveys applicable across all areas of ergonomics
- Task analysis examples together with a wide variety of ergonomics checklists and design guidelines
- Increased coverage of the role of stress and psychological well-being on the health of workers and on systems safety
- New material for course lectures, examinations, and projects – over 200 essays and exercises
- Glossary of technical terms
- New evidence for the cost-effectiveness of ergonomics in practice
- Advice for further study
- Updated Instructor’s Manual
The book’s built-in flexibility allows it to be used in a variety of ways. Reading the main text supplies a general overview of ergonomics in action. Delving deeper, the Ergonomics Workshop sections include tutorials and exercises that provide a basic toolkit for carrying out risk assessments and for solving real-world problems. This multi-level organization allows those studying human factors, psychology, industrial engineering, and occupational ergonomics to get both general knowledge and specialized information. The self-contained chapters are also accessible to non-ergonomics professionals who need to know more about the subject.