I am a software developer (C++) working in the defense industry, and I decided to start game development as a second part time career.In short, this book is fantastic. Crystal clear and very very explanatory. I will briefly give the advantages of the book:
1. Very good introduction to 3D maths.
2. A very good Win32 for beginners appendix.
3. A very good reference to the HLSL.
4. Very explanatory (as I said).
5. You will understand how to correctly set and create a 3D game.
6. Very good bibliography and nice recommendations for further reading.
The last bullet (6) is overly very important as you will come to understand. Game development is
a very broad concept and it involves a variety of technologies and frameworks (C++/C#/..., D3D/OpenGL, HLSL, maths, input, sound, physics, AI and the list goes one and on...). If you are serious about game programming, I advise to start building your library...