on 29 June 2011
I recently completed a BSc and used this book to gain a basic understanding of alternative research methods than what I was using in order to justify fully my method of choice.

It was recommended by my supervisor and I can see why as Carla Willig writes in an interesting and informative manner, providing examples of student research projects that have used the various methods, allowing the reader to gain a true understanding of whether certain qualitative methods are more suitable than others.

As someone who is fairly passionate about qualitative research due to it's person-centred focus, rather than merely statistical, this book was essential, and was a useful reference for my research project.
on 23 November 2012
This book was recommended during my undergraduate psychology degree and at the time, only having one module on qualitative research methods, I didn't buy it. This was a mistake.

Having started a post graduate (MRes Psychology) our first assignment was on qualitative research methods and having not bought the book earlier and paying the price, with some sloppy qualititative research during my undergraduate degree, I bought it immediately.

It is a wonderful informative book that is easy to read and understand and helped me no end produce my first piece of work for my MRes. If only I'd bought it sooner my undergraduate work would have been much improved.

Anyone looking to start a career in psychology, especially if they wish to employ qualitative research methods I implore you to buy this book and start reading. You will NOT do enough qualitative research until you reach post graduate level and by then you're in at the deep end, effectively trying to write essays and produce work on an area you have never learned about properly.
on 5 September 2010
This book delivers exactly what it says it does, an introduction to qualitative research. Being used to quantitative research I found it helpful in getting an overview of these methods and selecting the one that was best for my postgraduate dissertation. Once I did this though, I had to get another book on the specific method I selected. Still, this was an informed way to choose a research method and futher literature on the subject.
on 11 December 2012
I needed to have a text book that would help me learn about Qualitative research and Carla Willig filled the bill. This book is well written and progressive. She explores a wide range of Themes, methodology and offers helpful suggestions in her writing. There are examples of others writing which she also comments on and offers her reasoning for these comments.
She is a teacher of the art and I would like to sit in to one of her lecturers as she makes the subject ejoyable.
on 14 January 2014
This is an excellent book for someone needing further reading on Qualitative research. It is especially good for anyone who will be using qualitative research in their postgrad work, but who has a more Quantitative-loaded background.
on 29 October 2010
An Excellent book that is easy to understand and to put into practice. Useful as a general reference guide or for advice when conducting your own Qual research designs.
on 25 June 2014
Really helpful book when carrying out research and studying research topic. Would recommend this book to anyone who is studying research methods for psychology.
on 16 August 2005
A brilliant book that is really simple to understand, gives all the relevant details and is a must have when deciding which qualitative method to choose from. I highly recommend it.
on 25 October 2015
Really useful guide to research methods. Very helpful for understanding how research has been carried out when reading journal articles.
on 8 January 2014
I strongly recommend it. The author's writing style makes it easy to understand. And the delivery was made in time.